Stripped set screw

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a stripped set screw in the rear sight of my pistol. It's a Dawson sight, so the screw is thooper tiny and thooper deep in there. I don't want to try using JB Weld on an allen wrench, as the chance of getting it on the threads seems too great. Is there an easy way to get this thing out or do I need to look for specialized equipment?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Drill it out. Try an easy-out (they generally are garbage but do work well 1% of the time). Try a similar size from the alternate measuring system (metric/standard). Try a torx. Try a spline wrench. Try a flat blade screwdriver that fits tightly in the socket.

Trying a bunch of things is slow and requires the tool collection of a real man. Drilling is fast, but requires balls and skill.

dennishoddy

The question is why is it stripped in the first place? Was the wrong type of thread locker used? was the set screw metric and you used standard, or visa versa?
If the wrong thread locker was used, heat may be your partial answer. Look up on the net what type of threadlocker you used, and see what temp is required for it to release.
Then do like Mitch said. Use a Star, metric, or whatever including making one with a grinder that is tapered and will wedge into the stripped hole. It should come out intact if your holding your nuts with your right hand, and staring at a 70's poster of Farah Fawcett.

If none of that works, and you don't have the ability to drill and tap like Mike said, its gunsmith time.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm just going to say screw it and run with it as is. It has two set screws so the sight should stay put. Not like I use sights anyway. I only have them on there because the red fiber optic rod really makes the black nitiride pop. I'll fart with it this winter.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Is the hex rounded out or the threads stripped? FYI. Sometimes a torx bit will work kind of like an easy-out.

Latest posts