Stolen Rifle, heads up.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
There wasn't a forum titled "how stupid am I?" so I figured I'd post this here. While getting ready to go deer hunting on Nov 17, I discovered my rifle had been stolen. The only opportunity for it to go missing was when I had a contractor refinishing the floors in my house in Sept. I had moved my gun safe to the garage and I didn't put all of the guns back inside. I have not been able to track down the serial number and don't remember the vendor at the gun show where I bought it about 14 years ago. The rifle was a Ruger M77 stainless .270 with a black Swift scope and stainless rings.
Stay tuned...it gets better.
I remembered the name of one of the hands that worked for the contractor...the wife does a little detective work on the computer and finds him on the Oklahoma Court system website. Felony burglary and possession of stolen property. Go figure.
I didn't think twice about leaving these guys alone in my house because the contractor was a friend of my son-in-law. I don't think for a minute that the contractor was aware of what happened, but it just goes to show you should never be complacent about such things.
I have filed a report with the County Sheriffs office.
I've attached the only photo I had of the rifle. If you run across it, I would certainly appreciate a heads up.
I have since taken photos of View attachment 1719my remaining firearms and recorded all the serial numbers. I know...like closing the gate after the cows out of the barn....

Attachments

• ruger.jpg
    ruger.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 61

dennishoddy

Sux to the worst. I don't have an FFL, but I think the person that sold it to you would not have to keep the records after a certain period of time. Reason I know that is because when my guns were stolen, I called the FFL that has done all of my transfers, and he told me this. I"m talking 30 years later.
We recently went through a total home remodel, and added a new shop building right afterward.
Both contractors were well known to me, and I would trust them with my wallet..

The hands they have to hire at times can be at question.
My son had a house fire last month in Tx. The fly by night contractors were there before the Fire Department left, offering sweet deals.
Fortunatly he did a little research.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Jeff, I'm glad you posted this here. I'll get my contacts up at the SO on it.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Hope it turns up I am paranoid of something like this happening so I took pictures of mine and recorded serial numbers this summer

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been changing the stuff in the safe so my inventory spreadsheet is up to data and backed up in a safe location, but I think I'm going to spend some time this weekend taking detailed pictures and linking them to the file. Then I'm going to burn the whole thing to CD and send copies to family members in other states.

As a curiosity, anybody think that I should take the pictures on a newspaper clearly showing the current date?

Latest posts