Stoeger M3000 Mods for a Newby...

Chuck D1

Fanatic
I'm new to 3 Gun and in need of some advice...

I picked up a Stoeger M3000 new in the box for $449.00 last week and I plan on using it for 3 Gun and dedicated shotgun matches.

So far I've ordered Nordic Components plus 2 tube kit for NY ( we have severe magazine capacity restrictions in the People's Republic ) , a plus 5 tube kit for weekend excursions to "free America", a Nordic low-drag follower, A Nordic barrel clamp, and Briley chokes.

At this point I intend on just breaking the sharp edges on the loading port and eventually sending it to a pro to have the loading port opened up.

Is there anything I've missed in my efforts to get the gun up and running at the entry/beginner level ?

This is a nice shotgun for the money. I'm a "less is more" kind of guy when it comes to hacking on things with hammers and files so I'm primarily interested in making this boomstick more "user friendly" than a full blown race gun at this stage in my 3 Gun shooting development. Factory division is my preferred 3GN Division.

Thanks for the info/advice. Know it's appreciated.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Sounds like you have what you need. You might add a matchsaver too. I resisted using one for over a year. Once I added it I realized I was only hurting myself by not having one.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You should definitely look into loading port opening. It should be the number mod.

Chuck D1

Fanatic
If I wanted to attempt opening up the port beyond the "breaking sharp edges" point, is there a template I can obtain that would show me how much material to remove and where to remove it ?

I don't mind tackling the job myself with the right tools and equipment, I'm just afraid of taking material off in the wrong places and at the wrong depth.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Google images for m3000 port job, or opening, or whatever term you think will work. Look at pictures, take the average, and do whatever you like.

And the work he did must have been top notch. He never has any issues or malfunctions with any of his Stoegers anymore

Chuck D1

Fanatic
O.K. I took her all apart last night, set it up in the vise, broke out the files and Dremmel tool and ran out of nerve.

Where do I send it to have the loading port opened up on a milling machine ?

Nice videos by the way Jesse. They would have been most helpful if I wasn't "challenged" in the excess material removal realm.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Chuck D said:
O.K. I took her all apart last night, set it up in the vise, broke out the files and Dremmel tool and ran out of nerve.

Where do I send it to have the loading port opened up on a milling machine ?

Nice videos by the way Jesse. They would have been most helpful if I wasn't "challenged" in the excess material removal realm.
MOA Precision is probably the most well versed M3000 gun smith. Mark Roth at XRail has been doing some good stuff too. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of them.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Mark Roth will be getting my M3K in the next couple of weeks thanks to snagging a cert off the table at JKM3G. Snuck a quick look at Tim Yackleys Stoeger and was pretty impressed.