STI Build

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have experience parting out a 2011?

Was going through the site and it had a bunch of parts. I liked how the 2011 is more customizeable than the 1911. Not sure if they'll require additional parts or if you can buy everything direct from STI? Was unable to contact the site because they're down on Fridays. Either way excited to hear about everyone's experiences with these pistols and any inputs that would be helpful. Looking at a 9mm 5" barrel for tactical class that I will probably buy a part or two a month until completed.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Matt Rigsby said:
Your best bet is to get with a gunsmith who specializes in building 2011's because most of the parts need to be fit.
Benny Hill at triangle shooting sports has 30+ years experience under his belt. Give him a shout.
Benny is tits

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Rigsby said:
Your best bet is to get with a gunsmith who specializes in building 2011's because most of the parts need to be fit.
Benny Hill at triangle shooting sports has 30+ years experience under his belt. Give him a shout.
this is correct most parts need to be fitted.

You can't buy direct from STI, they only sell to distributors.
If you do decide to buy parts yourself, look at Dawson Precision & Shooters Connection.
I would suggest Make Ready Pro Shop but they only ship Continental US.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Dang, was really hoping it would be like building an AR. Gives me more to think about, wish AK was not in the stone ages with a lot of the gun stuff. Have some good gun smiths but there are not a lot of competitions like this and i'm not sure of their skills on these.

Thanks for the quick replies! Might have to check with Benny

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Not a "real gunsmith" but I've fiddled with the 1911 platform for 30 years now. Every thing you can do with a mill we did with files for a long time.

One extra stroke on the wrong part will cause a gun to double... defeat the safety ...maybe even throw it out of time or lock it up.

Grips may be the only drop in part... and I had to shorten the screws more than once so they did not drag on the magazine with a certain stock on a particular grip frame

Most drop in kits for fire control parts are fitted to each other... every frame may have a variance in the pin holes that hold those parts in geometric relation to each other... the action is all about arcs and angles and each frame is an entity to itself. CNC produced parts have helped... but trading parts from brand x to brand y get's you into the same dilemma some times

All this said... you have to start someplace. Build some guns... fit some parts and figure it out. Books and videos exist... parts and fixtures are sold.

Latest posts