Sti 9mm

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys my wife's STI trubore runs like a *****,
aby9yses.jpg

Currently running 124's with 7.1 or 7.5 grains can't remember of VV3N38 and it stove pipes every 5 or so rounds minimum and or it doesn't lock back on a empty mag. This is a pretty hot load should I try getting some 142 grain or what ever they are, or do you think this could be something else it has a fair bit of frog lube on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
This gun has fired less than 300 Rounds so it still new as. I have also tried VVn320 in it, I shoot a glock so 2011's are new ground for me and the guys at my club aren't too help full they just say "yea they can be a pain some times"

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
Most 2011 have the mags modified to not lock back on the last round. Cant help on the bullets

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Good idea Mitch I might flick them a message on Facebook their customer service was pretty good on there

grantwoodok

Well-Known Fanatic
Call STI. Their guns have a lifetime warranty and they'll try diagnose your issue over the phone and if needed ship it back and they'll repair at no change.

Feegee

The Magic Man
What is your OAL on your reloads? What kind of bullets are you shooting? Coated lead, FMJ, and so on? Have you tried any other powder than VV? Is your brass bulged? Do you live in OKC? If so I have some different loads you can try.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I have an aftec in my 9mm open gun which provides a surprising amount of tension. With that part and a taller EGW ejector I never had any ejection problems, but I did use a 90 degree mount.

Are you sure it's stovepiping on ejection and not bouncing back after hitting the mount/scope? You may try and take off the scope first to see if that helps.

Are you still running the recoilmaster or does it have a standard guide rod and spring?

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Berry's 124 FMJ's is what I've been using just cos I have a stack of them, They go our fairly sideways so I don't think they are bouncing back in. I don't know what a guide rod and spring are but its all as it came in the box also tried some 115gr factory ammo but it wasn't cool. OAL is 1.155
Feegee thanks for the offer but I'm 7954 miles from you If there was a direct flight. It also makes it hard to send things back cos your government has some munted laws with Import/export of firearms and parts ect.ect.
I have another powder here I can try if it doesn't do the trick Ill try some different projectiles (heaver)

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
It takes about 9 grains of 3N38 to make major with a 124 at 1.155. Recoil spring might be a bit heavy. If they are FTE's, check the tension between the extractor and the breech face. I wouldn't think about shooting a 9mm open gun without a 9mm Aftec. Also, re shaping the ejector to make the empties eject a little more parallel with the found will help with mount clearance.
Give it a few of these and let it break in a bit.

grantwoodok

Well-Known Fanatic
I had similar issues with my STI GM. Make sure there is enought tension on your extractor too. My issues was I had 38 super and 38 supercomp mixed in my brass and I had a similar issue. STI gunsmith tweaked the extractor and 0 issues since.

Latest posts