Step away from the red loctite

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Just took a stock off of an AR. If you are putting one on and feel compelled to add an ounce or so of the red stuff to secure the tube, just stop, walk away and breathe. Ask yourself if you really think you need the stock secured with so much loctite that there aren't any threads visible after the stock comes off. If you have to chip solidified loctite off the threads for an hour you are using just way way too much of the stuff. If the buffer retainer wont budge because the loctite has seeped down into the receiver forming the most amazing plug of faint red crud I have ever seen, you are using too much. I mean, you don't even need the stuff there, why use a gallon of it?

This is starting to sound like a Jeff Foxworthy type of thing. You might be using too much loctite... you guys can fill in the rest.

Just a public service announcement. That is all. I feel better.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have upgraded to the green stuff. If my gun sits out in the sun unbagged it will fall apart.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
A fine stag testimonial, Jesse.

Exactly! If you buy a quality rifle shoot it as is. Once you let a tard like me take apart a gun its a crap shoot on reliability. If it wasn't for a slightly above average local gunsmith and a red neck in his garage to keep my guns running I'd be screwed.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I used that lock tight on a buffer tube once with a negative outcome. I grabbed the lockring or what ever it is called next thing I knew I had stripped the threads off the tube. Then I thought I would buy another buffer tube and the one I bought was not properly threaded I wound up buying the whole collapsible stock assembly all this for the old AR that is seldom touched.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Green Lock-tite? liquid weld LOL I found out a long time ago a little dab of blue is enough for most applications dealing with guns unless your doing the work for friends then the red can be fun for later laughs. Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never found anything blue wouldn't handle. For the record "technically" I believe that everything above the blue is supposed to have heat applied for removal. I bought some of the purple for small fine threads and got to reading the tech sheet and it said that you were supposed to assemble first, which is codespeak for "this is some bada$$ $hit.. I chickened out and used blue. No issues to date.

dennishoddy

I've never found anything blue wouldn't handle. For the record "technically" I believe that everything above the blue is supposed to have heat applied for removal. I bought some of the purple for small fine threads and got to reading the tech sheet and it said that you were supposed to assemble first, which is codespeak for "this is some bada$$ $hit.. I chickened out and used blue. No issues to date.

I read the tech sheet for the 271 red. It requires 250 degrees to release.
I used red on my JP trigger build as that is what they recomended. I was doubtful, but went ahead and did it as its my SD AR and its set up perfectly, and I don't anticipate any changes.
In the early 90's, I worked for a company that built vibrasize trucks that are used to explore for oil. Those things vibrate 10 hours a day or more at different frequency's and the blue is all they ever used.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I have never even bought anything but blue. The red stuff scares me.

Oh, by the way, a buddy of mine swapped the stock out for me. Sorry, I honestly didn't know.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Fun fact, if you adjust your JP adjustable gas block and then run a mag through the rifle to double check the adjustment, and THEN red loctite the adjustment screw, the loctite sets up in 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes. Which makes it very difficult to get the correct adjustment.

Latest posts