Steel challenge pistol upgrades

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been thinking about getting a 22 for steel. Which one is a good starter pistol?
I'd suggest that if you have any "speed-steel" events near your area, that you visit a couple, if only to see what the top contenders are using for a base pistol and then, if they have any gizmo's bolted onto their rig.
That will give you a more finite idea from what those folks learned.

dennishoddy

The majority of pistols I see in all of the steel challenge matches are Ruger Mark III to Mark IV. Most with dots, some with muzzle brakes.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Just about every town up here has a gun club of their own. For those that do hold steel challenge shoots, one can observe just about any brand of semi-auto .22 Long Rifle pistol that's ever been offered.
Many of these folks who "shoot what they brung" do right well at the job at hand. Distances are not that far, and I sometimes wonder if sights are even needed.

dennishoddy

We see lots of different brands at our gun club, mostly among the new players. Some old colt woodsman models, and others. If they get seriously it's Ruger and sometimes buckmarks.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
1617745121766.pngThis thing is a thumb saver and would definitely help loading mags between stages. Might be cheaper options out there but I picked one of these up awhile back and it is definitely nice when I take my 22/45 out to plink.