Steel challenge pistol upgrades

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have a MKIII 22/45 that I've been using for steel challenge, and I've come to the conclusion that it's time to make it a little racier.

Heres what I'm thinking
Volquartsen on the trigger.
Tandemcross gas pedal.
Tandemcross comp.

Give your thoughts please.

dennishoddy

I just installed a Majestic Arms master trigger kit in a Mark 4 Hunter for a friend that replaces the sear, hammer, trigger and disconnector. You do have to fit and smooth the disconnector for the final step.
Went from a 5.5 lb pull to a smooth 2.4 lb.
Just another suggestion to consider.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I have a MKIII 22/45 that I've been using for steel challenge, and I've come to the conclusion that it's time to make it a little racier.

Heres what I'm thinking
Volquartsen on the trigger.
Tandemcross gas pedal.
Tandemcross comp.

Give your thoughts please.
Mine has so many Volquartsen parts that I don't consider it a Ruger anymore.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/646 This along with a custom fit Sam Lam Bushing to eliminate the magazine disconnect was a fantastic upgrade.

You are more than welcome shoot mine if you want.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I got the majestic Arms quick disassembly kit that came with the mag disconnect bushing that actually helped the trigger pull quite a bit, but I think it could be a little better with the volquartsen.

dennishoddy

The magazine disconnect was the first thing to go in my mark III hunter and it went gone also in the Mark IV I did the other day.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Get a tacsol upper for it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I got the majestic Arms quick disassembly kit that came with the mag disconnect bushing that actually helped the trigger pull quite a bit, but I think it could be a little better with the volquartsen.
Be very careful and do some research on the compatibility of the Volquartsen trigger and the Majestic takedown kit. There was a reason that I didn’t buy the quick takedown kit. Something wouldn’t mix. As much as I wanted to do away with the secret handshake hocus pocus assembly process, something scared me off of buying the Majestic kit after I had installed all the VQ parts.

I now assemble it strapped in an inversion table.

d4ac6ae3ffe648fdfb9c765f798d4e58.gif

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
That sucks, but if I have to go back to playing twister blindfolded to put the gun back together, it'll be worth it for a better trigger.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
What do you guys think about the comps? I've really never used a .22 pistol comp so I don't wanna just buy one on a hunch and it turn out to be a novelty.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
What do you guys think about the comps? I've really never used a .22 pistol comp so I don't wanna just buy one on a hunch and it turn out to be a novelty.
I don’t currently have one on mine. I had always thought they were more for looks on a .22. A friend wanted to shoot mine to compare triggers. His 22/45 was identical to mine but stock, a different color, and had a comp on it. I shot it back to back with mine.

There was a difference. Not a whole lot, but a difference. Now these are 22/45 Lites, so we are talking about 23-24oz and hanging another 1oz+ on the end of the barrel. I don’t know how much was from the weight and how much was due to venting the gas. It was louder, which would benefit the timer.

I never bought one because I was shooting the iron sight division and a comp would have moved me to the optics division.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I wonder if you would only benefit using a comp if you were using something high velocity like stingers, the same way a 9mm open gun works.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I wonder if you would only benefit using a comp if you were using something high velocity like stingers, the same way a 9mm open gun works.
Hopefully someone will have an answer. My comparison was with mini-mags. I have no-doubt that a stinger would produce more gas and therefore should have more of a difference.

dennishoddy

I have a Volquartsen Comp on my Mark III Hunter.
It certainly jets gas upward as well as adding a tad bit of weight to the muzzle.
I put a 4” square piece of light cardboard that had been folded in half over it and fired. It sent it several feet in the air. Don’t remember the ammo I was using at the time. Currently though, been using the Winchester 1435 fps, and the Browning 1435 fps.
I never lose the dot at the shot, but do on occasion during transitions which is my fault.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
dennishoddy said:
I have a Volquartsen Comp on my Mark III Hunter.
It certainly jets gas upward as well as adding a tad bit of weight to the muzzle.
I put a 4” square piece of light cardboard that had been folded in half over it and fired. It sent it several feet in the air. Don’t remember the ammo I was using at the time. Currently though, been using the Winchester 1435 fps, and the Browning 1435 fps.
I never lose the dot at the shot, but do on occasion during transitions which is my fault.
Thanks Dennis.
I'm just gonna order the game changer comp and hope for the best.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Matt Rigsby said:
Thanks Dennis.
I'm just gonna order the game changer comp and hope for the best.
I chickened out on the comp for now. I'm just thinking it'll only really be effective if I'm using Stingers, and I know I'm not gonna stock up on stingers when I can get federal bulk packs for under $20
I ordered the trigger and the gas pedal so we'll see how that goes.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Ruger trigger jobs are so damn easy to do, I would never spend money on any aftermarket!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
KurtM said:
Ruger trigger jobs are so damn easy to do, I would never spend money on any aftermarket!
I just bought the trigger, not the whole kit.
The trigger has pre and over travel screws so I can tune it where I want.
While I had it apart used a super fine grit Arkansas stone to polish the sear and hammer as well as the plunger that sits on top of the trigger.
It's much better now.