Steel case ammo

Carmanml

Fanatic
I've got a box stock Gen 3 G34. I was recently given some steel cased Wolf 9mm. Is the steel case going to goon up my gun? I would kinda think not, but I figured I'd check with folks more smarterer than I am.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I just got the same pistol but the Gen 4 back in December and have run nothing but steel case Tula through it so far and haven't had one single issue. I'll keep running it if I can ever find it back in stock at Wally World again. I can't see where the Wolf would be any different. Now I have found that the Russian stuff is a bit dirter than WWB or Federals but since I clean mine every time I shoot it doesn't really bother me.

HackerF15E

Well-Known Fanatic
Nope -- no problems using steel. I even reload it for both rifle and pistol and have no probs.

DF8D0DBF-92F3-47B6-8963-42EBC06DF4A9-135-000000033698EE2E.jpg

4A1283CC-D624-4AD9-8742-A10414708BA8-10957-00000D1F03CF5428.jpg

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The only issues I have had with steel cased ammo is the occasional stuck case. One time I had a .223 wolf round that had a sideways primer. It went poof and my squad mates screamed stop stop stop because they thought I had a squib. The bullet cleared the barrel but I think it dribbled out the end.

Jason Taucher

Well-Known Fanatic
If you haven't come across this yet, it's gotta be one of the best threads I've read about steel cased/bi-metal jacketed ammo.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

TLDR version: Shoot it up!

Probably the biggest issue will be whether or not the range you go to will let you shoot it. A friend of mine came up this last week and brought his 5.56 steel cased, bi-metal jacket ammo. We went to Heartland and they said no.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I brought some of that in to H&H when I first started shooting there and was also told nope.
Sasquatauch said:
!

Probably the biggest issue will be whether or not the range you go to will let you shoot it. A friend of mine came up this last week and brought his 5.56 steel cased, bi-metal jacket ammo. We went to Heartland and they said no.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
As long as you avoid the bimetal stuff ranges shouldnt have a problem. The bimetal round may not be armor piercing but it is still a steal round and can be hell on back stops. Now that being said, I personally don't like steel case (the exception being Hornady steel match) ammo. I have had bad experiences with the lacquer on the case and witnessed a failure to extract in which the spent round basically got fused to the chamber from the cheap lacquer.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I still have several hundred rounds of hornady steel match in .40 and .223 I haven't shot yet. I've ran over 500 rounds of Tula .223 through my 10.3" SBR with my suppressor on and it ran fine. Very dirty but FireCleanâ"¢ takes care of that really well. I was told by numb nuts at H&H the reason they won't allow Tula or wolf or similar ammo is the steel core ricochets. Now some of that ammo isn't steel core but instead a bi-metal jacket around lead. It still sticks to a magnet though. So if it sticks, it kicks. Idk it rhymed. Just shoot it in your gun to see if it cycles. If anything it's good practice ammo.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've shot a bunch of steel ammo. The only tone I had issues is when I use steel mags and mic and match steel and brass. I read on the Internet somewhere and it's the best explanation I've heard is that the steel cases don't expand as much as brass. So the chamber gets a lot dirtier when shooting steel cases. Then when you switch to brass they get jammed in the tighter chamber. I have less issues with the brown bear or monarch that are lacquer coated than I do with the grey dry cases like Hornady steel match, Tula or silver bear. YRMV.

Latest posts