StealthGear Onyx Hybrid IWB Holster

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I've previously just been carrying a LC9 or S&W 442 usually pocket carry in a holster or IWB in a Remora, which I didn't care for. Pocket carry didn't allow draws as quick as I'd like and limited me to really small carry weapons. The Remoras did nothing but walk up and out of my waistband when used IWB. I bought a CZ P-09 earlier this year and fell in love with it. I decided I'd buy the P-07, which is the same as a P-09 except slide, barrel and grip are shorter. Both are awesome guns. The P-07 is a double stack with 15+1 capacity in 9mm and is pretty wide. The slide itself is just 1.06" wide but the frame is a bit wider at 1.14" and 1.28" wide at the slide release and 1.46" wide at the decockers. Weight isn't too bad at a little over 34oz loaded but is heavy compared to some other popular carry weapons (10oz heavier than a Shield and 4oz heavier than a G19) so I knew I'd need a decent holster to carry the weight and hide the width.

I started searching around for holsters and looked at many and decided on a StealthGear Onyx hybrid IWB.

The backing isn't leather like most IWB holsters. It's made of synthetic material composed of closed cell foam with a polyester mesh that faces the body and a mesh that is abrasion resistant that faces the gun. It breathes very well. The shell is made from .093" Kydex and is attached with stainless hardware at six points. You can adjust retention with any of the six screws, though the tightness of the belt plays a part in the retention as well. It comes with standard metal belt clips installed and metal J hooks included in the package if you prefer them.

I've carried the P-07 in the Onyx for a couple weeks now at both 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock. I prefer 4 o'clock carry with it and it is very comfortable. I moved the metal belt clips up so that it would ride a bit lower in my waistband. I'm amazed at how comfortable and easy it is to conceal a carry weapon this large and heavy. It's not small and light, though I don't mind it being on my waist in this holster.

The Onyx isn't cheap at $99, but I'm not certain I could be this comfortable with the P-07 in any other IWB holster. I'm very pleased with the holster and would definitely buy one again. It shipped 8 days after ordering.

Fc8qSsJ.jpg

qRkFfhR.jpg

kaXKRuK.jpg

snBUWnh.jpg

zlL46FV.jpg

xlkW3Ne.jpg

ucvSV5E.jpg

PBZMTNG.jpg

G2PD9SK.jpg

kl0vuov.jpg

DuKu3RG.jpg

Rt5MgHV.jpg

UhAmyMx.jpg

ptsIlwQ.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Nice review Dustin. Thanks.

I like the material it is made from instead of leather. It looks like ti would breathe a little which is my main complaint with the "crossbreed" type holsters

Latest posts