State Question 788 | FFL transfer

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
You can use this thread to argue for or against SQ788, but the real point of this thread is that I just heard from a friend at the Sheriff's office that it will be unlawful for an FFL to transfer a firearm to anyone who uses marijuana or holds a medical marijuana card? Can any of you FFLs confirm or deny?

btaylor1505

Well-Known Fanatic
Not an FFL so I cannot answer that. Had a conference with two attorneys and 788 was discussed. I was told that one cannot be prevented from obtaining a state license, specifically a SDA/CCW license if they have a card. So that would be an interesting situation. You can have a SDA license but cannot buy a gun. This will be an interesting week to say the least.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
4473 already asks if you are a marijuana user

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Wall said:

That's kind of funny.

I assume having a pot card is not the same thing as using pot.

I also assume the FFL form isn't going to be revised

Posted via my Samsung S8 using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Burk Cornelius said:
That's kind of funny.

I assume having a pot card is not the same thing as using pot.

Lying on the form is a felony

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Burk Cornelius said:
"But Mr Federal agent, I don't use pot, I only grow it"

Semantics

btaylor1505

Well-Known Fanatic
In your best whinny hipster voice....

"I don't use marijuana, I use medical marijuana. There is a difference. Medical marijuana is non-intoxicating and was prescribed by my doctor. I bet you use some pill your doctor gave you and it's ok for you."

I have personally heard the "non-intoxicating medical marijuana" argument. I just laughed out loud.
Wall said:

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
In fairness, it’s the most Oklahoma thing ever to legalize pot and still have 3.2 beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Not that I’m for or against, but with legal advice this is what has been explained to me:

It would be a criminal act to have a pot permit, smoke pot, carry (not on my own private property), an imminent danger event occur & I draw to protect myself. The criminal act comes in with using a firearm under the influence. Under the influence can be determined as long as the drug remains in the system, which is 22-26 days. Kind of along the same lines as being drunk with a firearm. It wouldn’t take much for someone to accuse & cause suspicion that someone was pro-pot to have them tested if an event occurred.

I was also told if I were to have a pot permit, & smoke pot, that I could not do ANY of my firearms instruction work while it is in my system (22-26 days) or criminal liability would apply if an accident occurred.

I’m going to stick to beverages.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Josh Cobb said:
In fairness, it’s the most Oklahoma thing ever to legalize pot and still have 3.2 beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3.2 is going away in November

dennishoddy

btaylor1505 said:
In your best whinny hipster voice....

"I don't use marijuana, I use medical marijuana. There is a difference. Medical marijuana is non-intoxicating and was prescribed by my doctor. I bet you use some pill your doctor gave you and it's ok for you."

I have personally heard the "non-intoxicating medical marijuana" argument. I just laughed out loud.
Under Federal law, weed is a class 1 drug and illegal to possess, use or grow. The 4473 is a federal requirement that includes a no-go if you tell the truth and admit to use, and penalties if you lie about it and get caught.
Medical or SQ 788 in Oklahoma is actually a thinly veiled recreational bill. States laws cannot usurp Federal law.
So, use it with that in mind if you want, but understand the penalty's.

btaylor1505

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Under Federal law, weed is a class 1 drug and illegal to possess, use or grow. The 4473 is a federal requirement that includes a no-go if you tell the truth and admit to use, and penalties if you lie about it and get caught.
Medical or SQ 788 in Oklahoma is actually a thinly veiled recreational bill. States laws cannot usurp Federal law.
So, use it with that in mind if you want, but understand the penalty's.
I was trying to be funny Dennis. My sarcasm does not come through well in type form. My job prohibits me from using it anyways.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
btaylor1505 said:
I was trying to be funny Dennis. My sarcasm does not come through well in type form. My job prohibits me from using it anyways.

Most jobs do

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I work in safety and have a friend in Colorado that said nothing changed as far as her company's drug testing policy. You still get canned if you fail a drug test. I think a lot of people don't realize that if they work for a company that drug tests they wont have a job if their name gets pulled for a random, or if their company conducts a reasonable suspicion test.

dennishoddy

btaylor1505 said:

I knew you were joking around. My comments were not directed at you. Just general comments.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
afde64b0a86ec96c1acdc09d42488a58.jpg

Ran across this. Thought it might be relevant.

Latest posts