State of Emergency

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Did anyone notice YESTERDAY-NOON the Weather Channel telling us Okie's the "Ice Storm" was going to be way north of Oklahoma City?
Did anyone expect the local weather folks to change their story? Which they did not.
Does anyone realize the economic impact these false alarms cost?
Does anyone think the Governess should sit our world class weather predictor community down in a room and make them accountable?
Or...are you okay that the weather folks are going to say, "Well, we are all lucky we missed that one" and call it good?
My opinion, its a crying shame with world class weather detection, weather models and equipment that our weather community can miss a storm forecast such as this by a whole STATE.
Dang it to Heck!
That is all.
Michael

OBTW, if the weather goes to heck tonight then, "Well, we are all lucky they got part of it right" and call it good?
HaHaha!

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
We are a nation of snowflakes. God forbid someone have to make a little extra effort to get to work. The state, including most admin "troopers" , now get a 4 day weekend with MLK day on Monday. I'm retired now but when my employees would call in on bad days I would tell them if they considered themselves non essential to just stay home. I never missed a day due to weather in 32 years and even spent the night in a hotel close to work a couple of times at my own expense so I could be sure to make it in. Ice coverage areas are hard to predict but it sure seems like this call was blown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I agree! Everything is shut down and nobody went to school and the roads aren't even damp.

The local weather man are the boy that cried wolf!

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Yesterday at WalMart we noted people's carts topped off with Coke. Used to be milk and bread were first to go.

OSU announced yesterday it would be closed. Nice 4 day weekend for my sweetie and her colleagues.

dennishoddy

The weather chumps are backpeddling for OKC, but those of us up north will still have some issues I'm thinking.
Nice rain coming Sunday. My pond needs water. My wheat fields are desperate for water.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I stopped looking at weather forecasts several years ago. Weather predictions are a best guess. A guess. Fire all weathermen, time for fresh blood.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Pstmstr said:
We are a nation of snowflakes. God forbid someone have to make a little extra effort to get to work. The state, including most admin "troopers" , now get a 4 day weekend with MLK day on Monday. I'm retired now but when my employees would call in on bad days I would tell them if they considered themselves non essential to just stay home. I never missed a day due to weather in 32 years and even spent the night in a hotel close to work a couple of times at my own expense so I could be sure to make it in. Ice coverage areas are hard to predict but it sure seems like this call was blown.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-4 on the snowflakes. This country is raising a bunch of pussies.
I can remember school being cancelled because of snow. I rode my 3 wheeler 2 miles through the snow, pushing it when it got stuck, so I could make money working 12 hours on a snow day at the feedlot that my dad worked at. Cows still need to eat when it blizzards.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I really like this ice storm. I wish they were all this pleasant and safe, and non-emergent. And with no effect on the power grid. And with very little breeze. And with meteorologists that aren't qualified to predict what is for lunch.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
It is my understanding that all the weather folks use the same data from the National weather center, then use their own computers to run models and from that pool of information they make their call. I get that and I am good with that.
My issue with this non-state of emergency event is the data started changing as per the weather channel but our local professionals seem to dig their heals in deeper, as though they had tunnel vision.
Comparison, when a police officer is in a car chase, they can become fixated on their target and loose some sight of some of their decisions they make trying to catch their target. This is actually a natural human/animal trait. But is also the reason you see more car chases called off due to officers monitoring the situation from a broader point of view, population, traffic, etc. Pull the reins back if you will.
On TV it seems our weather professionals fall into a similar state of mine. Trying to save lives is one driving factor and it comes across to me that they take advantage of getting their ratings boosted.
My opinion, they have a runaway.
But let me say,other than their "runaway", we do have some of the best in the weather business, all of them are great people, they all work with the communities and teach young folks about weather events.
So...I don't want to bash our weather people, I do wish some way this "runaway" syndrome could be addressed.

jtischauser

I quit watching local news or any news including the weather back in October. My overall well being has gone way up. 99% of the crap on the news does not effect my life whatsoever. So why let it cause me stress. Now Im not inundated with negative crap 2-3 times a day and I'm not in a panic ever 3-7 days from the weatherman over hyping the severity of some bad weather.

Weather app on my phone does a great job of telling me if I need a jacket or umbrella. My actual friends or Facebook friends will usually let me know if there is something big enough going on in the world that requires my attention.

Life is gooder!

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I quit watching local news or any news including the weather back in October. My overall well being has gone way up. 99% of the crap on the news does not effect my life whatsoever. So why let it cause me stress. Now Im not inundated with negative crap 2-3 times a day and I'm not in a panic ever 3-7 days from the weatherman over hyping the severity of some bad weather.

Weather app on my phone does a great job of telling me if I need a jacket or umbrella. My actual friends or Facebook friends will usually let me know if there is something big enough going on in the world that requires my attention.

Life is gooder!
Yep, with Netflix, a DVR, weather app on my phone, and satellite radio, I have no idea what goes on outside my world.
I go to Facebook for the real and accurate news!

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic

jtischauser

mattmiller (Robusto) said:
The wall to wall coverage adds to the echo chamber of bad advice and sensationalism. I do not condone, but better understand Elvis's reaction to seeing Robert Goulet on TV after watching one of our local weathermen (May 2013) tell the viewing public to get in their car and out drive the tornado.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/oklahoma-meteorologist-criticized-tornado-warning-article-1.1364792
I would have tried to out run that thing too! Unfortunately people aren't smart enough to know the dangers of doing so and how to avoid them.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Michael J said:
Does anyone realize the economic impact these false alarms cost?
The only economic impact they are concerned with is the ratings they draw from a week of non-stop screaming ICEMAGEDDON IS COMING!

I'm pretty sure that it's their management directing this rather than the meteorologists themselves. Why else pay them the huge bucks that their degrees require, pay the huge bucks for newest radars, send trackers all over the place, etc. when they just get their data off Uncle Sugar's feeds? Doesn't really make sense does it? Somebody is yanking some strings. They are so consistently wrong so consistently it's becoming obvious. If any of us were to be so wrong we'd be out of our job in nothing flat. I don't think they are that incompetent myself...

dennishoddy

Definitely Deplorable said:
The only economic impact they are concerned with is the ratings they draw from a week of non-stop screaming ICEMAGEDDON IS COMING!

I'm pretty sure that it's their management directing this rather than the meteorologists themselves. Why else pay them the huge bucks that their degrees require, pay the huge bucks for newest radars, send trackers all over the place, etc. when they just get their data off Uncle Sugar's feeds? Doesn't really make sense does it? Somebody is yanking some strings. They are so consistently wrong so consistently it's becoming obvious. If any of us were to be so wrong we'd be out of our job in nothing flat. I don't think they are that incompetent myself...
Before retiring, I spent a lot of time in different city's, basically in the North East. Their attractive weather ladies basically said its raining or its not, and here is what the temp is.
Predicted the lows, and highs of the next day and gave the floor back to the news/sports folks. None of the armageddon reporting we have now.
They have to be personally embarrassed, but have to play the game.

On the other hand, we had those same folks we visited with in the NE come to Okla for visits. They actually got concerned about their safety with the intensity of the weather reporting.
Living in Kay county OK, we used to be the tornado capitol of the world. I've seen two in my lifetime. Nobody lives out here. Most Tornado's are not even reported.
New county's across the US have taken over the title. Cleveland and Oklahoma Counties are in the top 10.

Latest posts