Starter Pistol

AllAmericanBP

Fanatic
Fellow shooters, I am looking to get my 14 y/o daughter into some pistol shooting. Would anyone have any advice for a beginner pistol that will not break the bank but can be modified in the future for competition type stuff?

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Center-fire or rimfire?

Center-fire - Glock or M&P

Rimfire - Ruger 22/45 or Mark III or Browning Buckmark

Moller72

Well-Known Fanatic
MikeF said:
Center-fire or rimfire?
Center-fire - Glock or M&P
Rimfire - Ruger 22/45 or Mark III or Browning Buckmark
I agree with these but if rimfire I would also look into the s&w victory 22

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
AllAmericanBP said:
Fellow shooters, I am looking to get my 14 y/o daughter into some pistol shooting. Would anyone have any advice for a beginner pistol that will not break the bank but can be modified in the future for competition type stuff?
What kind of competition do you envision her doing?

posted via Tapatalk

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to be a pretty die hard glock guy, but after competing with the 2011 I have changed my tune a bit. I started my son off with a g17 but I think i am going to get him an m&p9 pro if for no other reason but that the grip angle is the same as the 2011 he is going to want at some point in the near future.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
2011's are fine if you're willing to spend north of $3-4k to get the gun, mags, and pay for a Smith to work the bugs out.

And you must be a reloader, cause the .40 cal usually like the longer than factory length bullet and the 9mm requires major PF if shooting USPSA open division.

AllAmericanBP

Fanatic
Thanks for all the advice. We attended our second 3 gun competition and she really seems interested in the game. Just figured I would start working on pistol skills first. Then work our way up. Will definitely look into all the guns listed. Thanks again.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Glock 34. It's the most common used stock gun for a reason. Don't know statistics, but I would say if you combined all of the disciplines it would be a 3:1 or higher ratio for Glock:eek:ther brand.

Phil Underwood

Fanatic
My 15 year daughter started shooting 3 gun with a springfield XDM 5.25 and loves it.
We let her try the M&P pro, CZ 75, and a 2011.. She liked that grip on the XDM

Jcawthon

Well-Known Fanatic
AllAmericanBP said:
Thanks for the replies. I may go with the M&P pro 9. I guess we will see what happens.
Maybe not so great for modifying later but you might check out the Ruger 9e. its just the cheaper version on their sr9. Supposedly takes 1911 sights with a novak rear cut. They can be bought online for around 300,
a little cheaper if you watch gun broker, Internals are almost identical to a Glock and grip is thinner so it would be good for someone with smaller hands. Just something to check out.

Latest posts