Started out a new shooter this weekend.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I have turned my 10 yr old boy into a gun loving lunitic. His Grandpa and I took him out to the range for the first time this weekend and needless to say he had a ball. We started him out with a single shot Cricket .22lr and he took to that like a fish to water. Then we moved on to the single action 22.lr pistols and my S&W 22S and Dad's MKII. Once he was comfortable with those he moved on to some Glock 9mm's, 1911 and Blackhawk with .38spl's. He loved my G34, didn't want to put it down. I had two mags laid out, one for him and one for me, next thing I know he's finished with his and he droped the mag reloaded racked her and was empting the one I loaded up for me to shoot, dang little bugger. Then he got to shoot my AR and he really loved it. The best part of the day was at the end, Dad had along a brand new Rossi short carbine big loop lever action in .38spl/.357 mag. Jon was poping away with .38's and when empty he said he wanted to shoot it one more time. Dad handed him a .357 mag and when he shot that the poor little guy got knocked back about two steps as he rode the recoil. He did really well though as he kept the muzzle down range and didn't have any of those Youtube fail type issues. He even got that shot on the 8.5"x11" target he was shooting at. Dad asked him how he liked that last shot and his answer was "What Did You Do To That Thing?"

I can't wait to get him out some more. Looks like I need to start looking for a .22lr rifle for him since he already has a Heratage Rough Rider for a pistol thanks to Grandpa.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
You'll never have a free weekend from this point on. :D
What's a free weekend????

I'll have to start checking the match schedule at Gateway Three Gun and St. Louis Benchrest Club to see if I can take him out to see me shoot one of those next time I'm up there to visit them.

Latest posts