Standing Still During Mag Changes

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Usually, I am about 20 or so seconds slower than the stage winners. And usually, (at least lately), I have the most or close to the most points, which I attribute to a lot of dry fire. After looking at video of my last match, even though only one stage, I can see about 15 seconds wasted changing mags. This should be an easy fix, but it happens time and again. I think I'm going to set up a few barrels about 5 yards apart, and if not run, at least range walk between them changing mags. But it could also be that I decide on a spot to drop my mags during stage planning, and stop to do just that. Either way, Bobby's gotta move his butt!

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't feel so bad. I'm fighting the same problem. I've been trying to practice mag changes moving up and down the hallway between the bedrooms at each end of the hall.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
For handgun type stuff reloads should ideally be done during the first step of your movement. At least get the old one out and the fresh mag in hand and headed towards the gun before your foot doing the movement hits the ground.

General rule, wont apply everywhere but watch some national level top guns and this is what you will see most of the time.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
technetium-99m said:
For handgun type stuff reloads should ideally be done during the first step of your movement. At least get the old one out and the fresh mag in hand and headed towards the gun before your foot doing the movement hits the ground.

General rule, wont apply everywhere but watch some national level top guns and this is what you will see most of the time.
This. Nothing done at a full sprint is going to be efficient. You can miss mag changes, drop them etc. and if you are fighting with your gun, you arent running as fast as you could be. Start practicing with the mag change being part of the start (first step) of your movement or transition and you will stick them every time. Then you'll be at full speed a step or two later.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris_Andersen said:
This. Nothing done at a full sprint is going to be efficient. You can miss mag changes, drop them etc. and if you are fighting with your gun, you arent running as fast as you could be. Start practicing with the mag change being part of the start (first step) of your movement or transition and you will stick them every time. Then you'll be at full speed a step or two later.
Starting today. Goals, get good initial grip, mag change on first step, reaquire good grip, aquire next target. I can easilly set this up at home. I have a plan! Thanks!!!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
before you worry about "movement" get the fundementals down.

When the gun gets to the same spot everytime... and the hand finds the mag on it's own... again this is really a "motor skill" issue. Watch the guys who really excel at the "fast reload" and I can show you a guy who stands over a dog bed or something soft and drops mags and reloads a couple of hours a day.

Like a lot of other physical tasks it really helps to break this down in steps... visualize the steps and practice them enough that they become second nature

When the hands are doing the reload on auto pilot... it really wont matter what step your on (but it works better on the first step)

Latest posts