Stage designs for Nordic Rifle in Finland

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep

1.2.1.4 The recommended balance for an IPSC sanctioned match is a ratio of 3 Short Courses to 2
Medium Courses to 1 Long Course. Significant variance from this ratio will not be approved by
IPSC.
1.2.1.5 The recommended balance for an IPSC Rifle match with regards to target distance is: 30% of all
targets to be less than 60 meters, 50% to be between 60 and 150 meters and 20% to be between
150 and 300 meters.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Short courses are a buzz kill. If I were president I'd flip short and long courses in the rules.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I would probably want to balance things a bit, the way it is now is that you might have a match with 10-11 stages, and if two of those are 40 rounds stages and you screw up even one of them you've ruined the match, so short courses could have more rounds and long courses less rounds.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Me too, but I don't like to shoot 1/4 of the match in one stage. I guess it depends on the stage design too, long courses over here tend to be mind games, so it's not more fun, it's just awkward puzzle shooting where you have to memorize what targets to shoot where so you either don forget any, or shoot some of them twice. Nothing takes the fun out of a stage more than that.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
Me too, but I don't like to shoot 1/4 of the match in one stage. I guess it depends on the stage design too, long courses over here tend to be mind games, so it's not more fun, it's just awkward puzzle shooting where you have to memorize what targets to shoot where so you either don forget any, or shoot some of them twice. Nothing takes the fun out of a stage more than that.
I agree! Big stages should test all the skills not just the memory.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
It was a rough match, I had to change strategies 3 times. Started out not as good as I wanted, and started day two by trying to make up which resulted in crash and burn on a couple stages. Pulled back a bit and made decent result on the rest of the stages. came in 14th overall, I did beat most of the Swedish national team though, so that felt good :p

As expected the Finns filled alot of the top spots. and Raine Peltokoski won. That guy is a machine.
As far as the americans, Kurt Miller came in 7th overall SAS and best senior SAS, so he got a presidents medal for the senior win. 7th overall in Finland is a good result.

The new rifle was great, and the 20" barrel didn't bother me anything.

Latest posts