Stag 3G Barrel

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone have any pictures of the barrel with the hand guard removed or know what the weight is? I am trying to decide if I want to get the 3G upper or build my own with a Loki 18" barrel. I figure they will both end up pretty close in price.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
LOKI-SS-BARREL-2.jpg

Loki's page says 31oz.

Makeready shows them in stock here.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah I saw the specs in the Loki, I was just curious how stags barrel compared to the Loki (fluting profile, and in turn weight).

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I think the Stag barrel maybe a few ounces heavier than the Loki. My mail scale won't weigh over 32 oz and it couldn't weigh this barrel.

I doubt you can build a comparable upper as cheaply as you can buy the Stag. Both my Loki 3G and my Stag 3G shoot lights out so either way you can't go wrong.

You might take a look at that Wilson barrel from Nordic Components as well. Tony might sell those too.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Jesse, I appreciate you taking these pictures for me. I reran the numbers and it looks like if I built one off the Loki I would be in the 750 range without a BCG. From what I can tell the stag comes with a BCG so that's an extra 100+ right there even if I end up replacing it with something else.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
FYI, loki can shave your bolt carrier to make it light weight if you want to go with a lmos setup. I did it and can definitely tell a difference in recoil.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Nobody that I've found has them in stock, but I've been quoted $699 with a 7-8 week lead drop shipped from stag.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't know if this place has them in stock, but they're listed for $699.

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/page2.html

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Does a lighter carrier really affect the recoil? I could see cycle rate improvement but I can't really see recoil reduction. Kinetic energy transfer would be higher with a lower mass I would think. (ke=.5*m*v*v)

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I guess it would take less gas to cycle it, so if you tuned it that would drop the recoil.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Coupled with a low mass buffer and an adjustable gas block it will reduce felt recoil. I notice a difference in mine for sure.
A good comp helps too.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thanks Jesse, I appreciate you taking these pictures for me. I reran the numbers and it looks like if I built one off the Loki I would be in the 750 range without a BCG. From what I can tell the stag comes with a BCG so that's an extra 100+ right there even if I end up replacing it with something else.

If you are going to change out a bunch of parts you might as well build from scratch. The low mass system from JP or Loki work. Reliability can go down from the adjustable gas but it's fine if you don't get too greedy leaving it shut. Be sure to shoot it dirty and in the cold to make sure it runs.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I think that's the way I'm going to go. I'm in no big hurry and I'll get an extra carrier out of it.

Latest posts