Squib? Not really a question but interesting nonetheless.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Saw a really odd "squib" incident today in the OKCGC match.

First shot on the stage sounded like a squib. RO screams STOP! Shooter stopped.

He opened the cylinder (yes a revo shooter) and the back of the case was black and the primer was barely hanging on. From the looks of it the bullet had not moved in the case AT ALL so obviously it wasn't in the barrel.

Here's the part that's just freaky deekie. The primer flash hole was there, appeared centered and obviously went through because you could shake powder out of the case. The case was a nickel plated Federal .38 Special case and totally unremarkable looking. We were all pretty dumbfounded but it was obvious that the primer ignited, that the gas had nowhere to go but out the wrong direction for some unknown reason and loosened up the primer cup, hence it basically falling out when he opened the cylinder.

If you seat a primer flipped over backwards (yes I've done it) will it go off if struck? I've never tried to fire one that way for obvious reasons. It's my understanding that it won't IN THEORY, but....

dennishoddy

Should have been visible to the eye if it was in backwards even if it ignited. I've seen a couple FTF rounds that had the primer mounted backwards when we picked it up and looked at it.
Don't know if it's possible?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Should have been visible to the eye if it was in backwards even if it ignited. I've seen a couple FTF rounds that had the primer mounted backwards when we picked it up and looked at it.
Don't know if it's possible?
Yes I don't really think it was backwards as he would have seen it sticking out like a sore thumb when he put it in the moon clip.

We just couldn't really say that any of us had ever seen that one before and there were several very experienced shooters and reloaders on our squad. I just got to wondering about one lighting off if pressed in backwards since the anvil wouldn't be doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noylj

Fanatic
I once tried to fire a cartridge with a backwards primer. It wouldn't go off. Would one NEVER go off? I would not say that.
If there is a flash hole and if powder comes out the flash hole, then the primer did NOT send any flame into the case. From sound of report, firing a backwards primer makes a whole lot more sense that any other explanation.
Some folks just don't LOOK and SEE.

Latest posts