*sprong* Crap! where did that detent go?

EagleScout

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep I am now a member of the "Crap where did that detent go" club.

I just could not wait to run and get a pin and figured I be smart enough to not have a detent flying. Got a few on order and last step is the rear take down pin detent.

Any way the rest of lower went really smooth. I may even have a range report on the Del-Ton mid length kit before the weekend is over.

Now to put the stock back on the shotgun, break in the AR and sr9c, grabs some mags, shell holders, and try 3 gun =)

Cold Hand Firearms was a cool place enjoyed the short visit.

Now back to learning AR-15 mainteance

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I always use a razor blade or thin putty knife to hold the spring and detent in.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Dont feel bad. I lost the dust- sheild- sheetmetal- thingy from a Mossberg Semiauto shotgun once... that's 1000 times bigger than the pin detent. It was $3 part with a $7 shipping charge... ouch.

I keep a few safety-slide stop springs and ends for the 1911 nearby too... floors are a black hole for those things,

Huckelberry75

Active Fanatic
Seems like they ALWAYS rollunder the very far back corner of the deepest darkest corner under the work bench/refridgerator/behind bookcase etc etc. Always fun to go spelunking for springs. Welcome to the club. S&W springs are bad about it as well on their revo's.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Here's a tip that I've heard but never tried... When assembling these parts of the lower get a large bag of some sort and put things together inside. If anything jumps out it most likely won't get further than the bag! Much easier to find...

ChickenGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep I am now a member of the "Crap where did that detent go" club.

I just could not wait to run and get a pin and figured I be smart enough to not have a detent flying. Got a few on order and last step is the rear take down pin detent.

Any way the rest of lower went really smooth. I may even have a range report on the Del-Ton mid length kit before the weekend is over.

Now to put the stock back on the shotgun, break in the AR and sr9c, grabs some mags, shell holders, and try 3 gun =)

Cold Hand Firearms was a cool place enjoyed the short visit.

Now back to learning AR-15 mainteance

you will prob be happy enough with the Del Ton mid length and should enjoy the sr9c I like mine and they shoot nice

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I start every weapon assembly project by cleaning the garage floor because I know I'm gonna be lying on it at some point looking for my OH **** part. I always wear safety glasses now too

kaiserb

Well-Known Fanatic
I found having a "BAMS device" (Big Ass Magnet on a Stick) in the shop works great. It has paid for itself many times over in dropped screws, lost parts, sproinged springs, etc.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3224365&kw=magnet&origkw=Magnet

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
Was it the pivot pin detent? If so, get a pivot pin detent/ spring/ thingy- install tool. They are about $5 and work better than your blood-pressure medication at keeping that vein in your forehead from bulging!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Here's a tip that I've heard but never tried... When assembling these parts of the lower get a large bag of some sort and put things together inside. If anything jumps out it most likely won't get further than the bag! Much easier to find...

Yeah, get a 2 gallon zippy bag from wally world.

BeRotten

New Fanatic
For .30 cents at Atwoods or Tractor supply you can get a 1/4 inch hitch pin. The pin has several 1/8 inch holes through it. I put it through the pivot pin hole, drop the spring and detent in through a small hole, use an 1/8th allen wrench to push the detent deep enough into the hole to turn the hitch pin about 1/4 turn. Then use the pivot pin to push the hitch pin back through. Done. I have used the gallon zip lock plan as well...good policy. Since using the hitch pin I haven't had to.

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
Been there before. I did mine in the recliner and had to flip the chair over to find the parts. The look on the wifes face was priceless though. Like the razor blade tip though, seems like an easy fix.

Deacon

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, we've all done it. Good times.

You ain't lived until you back out a buffer tube and a buffer spring retaining plunger in the eye.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I did this building my first AR and never found the pin so i bought the tool when i ordered the new pin to avoid frustration

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Well I am, I mean we are now members of the club. Found the pin after sweeping half the garage and sorting through the piles of dog hair and dirt.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
Been there, done that. It really sucks when you're helping a friend who is really excited and you can't find the lost part.

dennishoddy

Lost the magazine end cap on my Rem 1100 at the lake one day getting set up for a dove hunt. Forgot to put a plug in it, so cut a stick, and removed the cap. It slipped, and I watched helplessly as it and the spring fell into 10' of water.
Had to be a single shot shooter that day. :rolleyes:

Latest posts