Springfield Range Officer 9mm

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking at getting a 9mm 1911 and the Range Officer models from Springfield look promising. The Champion 4in comes with fiber optic sights out of the box and could double as a carry gun.

Going to use it for steel challenge and maybe dabble in single stack minor for funsies.

Anyone have experience with these guns? Or other 9mm 1911s?

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't say in regards to the Springfield versions. But my 9mm 1911 is easily my favorite gun to shoot. The only thing I would suggest is try shooting a little hotter ammo to get that heavy slide moving. If you don't reload then lawman is good. Winchester white box and blazer brass take around 3 years to cycle the slide.

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd also take a look at the Dawson Precision Competition Ready pistol. They have it in 9mm ready to go with the magwell and sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Caleb @ the gunnuts blog has been testing a bunch of 9mm 1911s recently. Might be worth looking into.

One highlight is that the RIA Ultra FS is surprisingly good.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Also I think the "Champion" is basically a commander but w/ a 4" barrel instead of 4.25". I never understood commander 1911s for CCW because the grip is the same size
and that's the thing that prints.

They make a "Compact" model that's basically a CCO, which is good if you're looking for a CCO that doesn't cost $ferraris.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the commander sized guns just fine for ccw. Not that they conceal any better I just feel a little faster with the shorter barrel getting the gun up and out.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Tony G said:
I like the commander sized guns just fine for ccw. Not that they conceal any better I just feel a little faster with the shorter barrel getting the gun up and out.
I agree, I feel like the shorter length clears the holster faster. Plus a shorter slide would be lighter for the 9mm cartridge to cycle vs the full 5in. Downside is sight radius

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Dr Poop, I'll check out those blog reviews and that RIA. Looks interesting.

The Dawson Precision comp model looks slick. Little above what I'm budgeting for this thing but it'd be nice to have those features out of the box.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
ccfa562abe82df324ca46be00fbd9401.jpg

I've got one. The Smith put in all EGW parts I have 6 Dawson precision mags for it still have to figure out the grip/magwell situation so I don't bust the 43oz rule. I may have to loose the full length guide rod.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I've got one. The Smith put in all EGW parts I have 6 Dawson precision mags for it still have to figure out the grip/magwell situation so I don't bust the 43oz rule. I may have to loose the full length guide rod.
Can you remove a little material under the grip panels (not sure how solid springfield makes their frames under there)?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
ChrisC said:
ccfa562abe82df324ca46be00fbd9401.jpg

Springfield says they are 41oz. Losing that guide rod might just get you there with an aluminum well.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I put a plain old mil-spec rod and plug in my TRP. The factory full length has permanent residency in the factory box. That thing sucks sweaty nads...

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up a Rock Island Tactical 9mm the other day, figure its worth a shot for the price and I keep hearing good things.

I put a few mags through it after steel challenge yesterday, or rather I tried to...it simply could not get through a whole mag without an FTF or three. I was using the factory mec-gar magazine with plain jane 124gr and 147gr freedom munitions ball ammo.

Rounds kept getting hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp (GI style). I have to rack it hard once or twice in order to clear.

Any recommendations for what I should try first? I field stripped and cleaned it out of the box, but havent touched anything else.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Shoot it more before you do anything. It's probably just really tight. Give it another good workout of 2-300 rounds and if its still doing it, start looking at the angle of the feed ramp, the extractor tension and the magazine specs. Lube the snot out of it and let it try and break in.. Might look at going with a 9lb recoil spring for the break in, or shoot some WWB 115's for break in. The freedom stuff can be a little light for new iron..

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks,
I'll give it another good clean/lube today and pick up some ammo thats a little hotter.

Worst case scenario is I send it back to Armscor, their warranty is pretty good.

ironman23

Fanatic
I love my Springfield, however it's a full custom from Oglesby & Oglesby World Class so not a fair comparison to a stocker. Just read a good article on the new Sig Legion in 9mm. I'd look at one of those, too. It's available in single action. Check out the latest American Rifleman mag for the article.

Latest posts