Springfield Armory's 1911 serial number prefix

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Springfield Armory has been known to cause a bit of confusion, around the pieces they produce. One of the most controversial and often misunderstood is the "NM" prefix on the serial numbers. Normally this prefix stands for "National Match". In this case is does not stand for that.
IMBEL forgings located in Brazil stamp a frame that has more than 50% worth of the work done in Brazil with the a prefix designation of "N". This is often confusing as the GI models are also made in Brazil and the a prefix of "WW". Even the mil-spec models produced by Springfield Armory can come with either a "N" or "NM" designation but more commonly found is the "N".

Springfield Armory's Loaded models can come with either the "NM" or the "N" designation. It's important to note that the "N" prefix are imported completed with the exception of the sight, and beavertail grip safety cuts. The finishing touches are actually completed at their main plant in Illinois. The difference with the "NM" models have majority of internal cuts done, but the rail cuts are performed in the US. The final machining is performed by CNC again, in Illinois.

Here is a quote from an email exchange with Deb from the Springfield Armory Custom Shop
Springfield uses the prefixes of "N" and "NM" to designate 1911-A1 type pistols, just as we used "AM" as the prefix for the P9 series of pistols. The only pistols which use the national match frames are the complete custom pistols built through our custom shop. These pistols have "Springfield Custom" etched on the slide, and will have the "NM" prefix to the serial number.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Custom
Springfield Inc.

If you are looking for a Springfield Armory piece made from the Illinois factory look for a serial number consisting of the following:
LW
EMP
TGO-2
TGO-3

If it's a true Springfield Armory Custom Shop piece it will have this in the serial number:
CRG
FBI
DEA
TGO-1

So many of you will simply ask, is the build quality any different? I personally own the NM models, compared to the N model I thought the slide and frame work better together.

I hope this helps you identify your Springfield Armory pieces. Like many of you, I'm a fan of this brand, despite their recent run ins with politics and foot insertions.

If you have any other questions related to this please feel free to post them in our Springfield Armory section.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
full

For reference

Shadetree

Fanatic
Thanks for this info, my Mil-Spec has the NM prefix, was wondering if it meant 'National Match' and it was good to find out the real meaning

SLAM37

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Blackbeard. Regarding this part of your post:

"If it's a true Springfield Armory Custom Shop piece it will have this in the serial number:
CRG
FBI
DEA
TGO-1"

I am certain some pieces carrying an "NM" prefix in the serial number also belong on this list of full/true SACS builds…as is the case with the Custom Carry model (and other SACS offerings). Such a build is done by SACS on a National Match frame according to SA's website: (https://www.springfield-armory.com/custom/). In Deb's email she even states: "The only pistols which use the national match frames are the complete custom pistols built through our custom shop. These pistols have "Springfield Custom" etched on the slide, and will have the "NM"p refix to the serial number."

Also … I think the "TGO-1/2/3" pistols have an "RL" prefix – not "TGO-1/2/3" in the serial number.

My SACS Custom Carry with a custom shop certificate dated 8/29/06 carries a NM prefix and is built on a National Match frame. It is one heck of a pistol.

SACS1.jpg

dakota1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I have wondered about the numbers the are under the slide and grips of many models. Here one a RO I bought new in Jan 2015. It is nice to note the last three digits of the serial number are hand engraved under the slide, a serial number which starts with NM by the way, as it makes one think the slide and frame are kept together during assembly even on this cheaper model. I assume the stamped number is a manufacturing control number by whoever made the slide.

And on the frame under the stocks is a different number, again not related to the serial number.

HRColey

Fanatic
I have wondered about the numbers the are under the slide and grips of many models. Here one a RO I bought new in Jan 2015. It is nice to note the last three digits of the serial number are hand engraved under the slide, a serial number which starts with NM by the way, as it makes one think the slide and frame are kept together during assembly even on this cheaper model. I assume the stamped number is a manufacturing control number by whoever made the slide.

And on the frame under the stocks is a different number, again not related to the serial number.

September of 2018 I retired after thirty years of working closely to the military supply system. The numbers you are seeing are most likely part numbers and have nothing to do with the weapon's serial number. Hope this helps.

Patriotguns

New Fanatic
Springfield Armory has been known to cause a bit of confusion, around the pieces they produce. One of the most controversial and often misunderstood is the "NM" prefix on the serial numbers. Normally this prefix stands for "National Match". In this case is does not stand for that.
IMBEL forgings located in Brazil stamp a frame that has more than 50% worth of the work done in Brazil with the a prefix designation of "N". This is often confusing as the GI models are also made in Brazil and the a prefix of "WW". Even the mil-spec models produced by Springfield Armory can come with either a "N" or "NM" designation but more commonly found is the "N".

Springfield Armory's Loaded models can come with either the "NM" or the "N" designation. It's important to note that the "N" prefix are imported completed with the exception of the sight, and beavertail grip safety cuts. The finishing touches are actually completed at their main plant in Illinois. The difference with the "NM" models have majority of internal cuts done, but the rail cuts are performed in the US. The final machining is performed by CNC again, in Illinois.

Here is a quote from an email exchange with Deb from the Springfield Armory Custom Shop

If you are looking for a Springfield Armory piece made from the Illinois factory look for a serial number consisting of the following:
LW
EMP
TGO-2
TGO-3

If it's a true Springfield Armory Custom Shop piece it will have this in the serial number:
CRG
FBI
DEA
TGO-1

So many of you will simply ask, is the build quality any different? I personally own the NM models, compared to the N model I thought the slide and frame work better together.

I hope this helps you identify your Springfield Armory pieces. Like many of you, I'm a fan of this brand, despite their recent run ins with politics and foot insertions.

If you have any other questions related to this please feel free to post them in our Springfield Armory section.
I have a serial number NMC115xx
It's a all stainless steel Compact, not Ultra Compact. I'm having trouble identifying the NMC. I'd like to find out more about my Springfield 1911.
Thanks

Attachments

• 370FB5B1-1A95-4EBF-89EA-349E7E418E4C.jpeg
    370FB5B1-1A95-4EBF-89EA-349E7E418E4C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

LW
EMP
TGO-2
TGO-3

CRG
FBI
DEA
TGO-1

I have both and they work just fine. My favorites are the older ones with the Springfield emblem behind the ejection port. I'll go out of my way for these. I don't know why, other than they are the older ones. Makes no difference to me in the long run. One of my most accurate ones is a N prefix. It has the round hammer rat tail grip safety and the sweetest factory trigger I've ever had! It makes me look like a great shooter :). I also have a two tone from the custom shop. Still has the spur hammer, very nice trigger pull Wilson barrel and a retro rear sight with a Springfield staked front sight. It too is far more capable than I am.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Blackbeard. Regarding this part of your post:

"If it's a true Springfield Armory Custom Shop piece it will have this in the serial number:
CRG
FBI
DEA
TGO-1"

I am certain some pieces carrying an "NM" prefix in the serial number also belong on this list of full/true SACS builds…as is the case with the Custom Carry model (and other SACS offerings). Such a build is done by SACS on a National Match frame according to SA's website: (https://www.springfield-armory.com/custom/). In Deb's email she even states: "The only pistols which use the national match frames are the complete custom pistols built through our custom shop. These pistols have "Springfield Custom" etched on the slide, and will have the "NM"p refix to the serial number."

Also … I think the "TGO-1/2/3" pistols have an "RL" prefix – not "TGO-1/2/3" in the serial number.

My SACS Custom Carry with a custom shop certificate dated 8/29/06 carries a NM prefix and is built on a National Match frame. It is one heck of a pistol.

View attachment 1480
Beautiful!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple of Springfield Armory 1911's..

1st is a GI model bought used , but in like new condition- still in factory cardboard box (back then) with rod & brush still in a factory plastic bag.
may have been bought & sold back to dealer I bought it from, unused.
Bought it in the very early 80's, to "build" into something better.
Terry Tussey had recommended a S/A for a base gun, as I didn't want to put more $ into the new Gold Cup I'd recently bought.,
& taken to him to have the front site replaced, after the factory site fell off after less than 50 factory loads were shot thru it.

Sent the S/A to Terry who hard chrome plated the slide & frame, did a trigger job, installed Millet adj. sights , + what ever else he did.
Came out beautiful & has held up well over the years. This pistol has a NM serial # 31xxx

Many years later, I want a SS 1911 Govt. size in 9mm. Start trying to find one, with no luck.
Learned that Springfield was making just what I wanted, called it the "Loaded Target" ( has adj.rear site) and they seem impossible to find.
I called shops near & far, searched websites..those that even had this model listed were all "SOLD OUT "

Never had bought from Gunbroker before, but found a nice used one for what seemed like a fair price.
Contacted the seller in Ga.., seemed like a good guy, so I bought it. Came in nice shape w/ factory box, instuction book, & all paper work
+ (4) metalform mags.. this was on 7-1-14. This pistol also has a NM serial# 231xxx

Had Doug Jones (of Acc-U-Rail fame) machine the top of the slide flat ( 'cause I like it like that) , and checker the front strap.
Believe he massaged a few internal parts for me too, cause it's a nice shooter! One of, ( if not my favorite )1911's.

Checking the serial # , I noticed the older pistol has a 5 digit serial #, and the newer model has a 6 digit number.
both pistols are considered as keepers, to me.