Springfield Armory Ronin EMP 1911

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Ant one have experience with the SA 4in.?
I had ( past tense) an old model Champion. It had a 22# recoil spring in it and it was absolutely awful to take apart or put back together. My friend owns it now, and he asked about trouble taking it apart. I said yes awful recoil spring in it. He said he thought he was just getting weak in his old age! It shot fine though.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I had ( past tense) an old model Champion. It had a 22# recoil spring in it and it was absolutely awful to take apart or put back together. My friend owns it now, and he asked about trouble taking it apart. I said yes awful recoil spring in it. He said he thought he was just getting weak in his old age! It shot fine though.
BL:
I don't understand, is there a reason why you had that heavy of a spring in it? Did you try a lighter one. Did it need that heavy of a spring? Shouldn't a 16# be standard?
IIRC Wolff has them from 5-8 to 22-24 I think. WC should be in that same area with theirs. I think David Tubb made 1911 springs (not sure, if he still does)

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
BL:
I don't understand, is there a reason why you had that heavy of a spring in it? Did you try a lighter one. Did it need that heavy of a spring? Shouldn't a 16# be standard?
IIRC Wolff has them from 5-8 to 22-24 I think. WC should be in that same area with theirs. I think David Tubb made 1911 springs (not sure, if he still does)
22# was the standard factory weight recoil spring for that particular gun. I have run 20# recoil springs in my Commanders, but went back to 18# springs because I believe that was factory rating from Colt. The shorter barrels run a heavier spring than a 5" gun does. I think it has to do with slide velocity. I currently run either a 16# or 17# springs in my 5" 45acp 1911's

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
22# was the standard factory weight recoil spring for that particular gun. I have run 20# recoil springs in my Commanders, but went back to 18# springs because I believe that was factory rating from Colt. The shorter barrels run a heavier spring than a 5" gun does. I think it has to do with slide velocity. I currently run either a 16# or 17# springs in my 5" 45acp 1911's
Has anybody tried a weaker spring in that gun to see if it can be tuned a little? 22# spring should be for some very hot loads, +p or maybe even +p+ 1646955361525.gif

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anybody tried a weaker spring in that gun to see if it can be tuned a little? 22# spring should be for some very hot loads, +p or maybe even +p+ View attachment 24849
I never did, and as far as I know my friend hasn't tried one either, but I did suggest it to him. I do not understand what Springfield was thinking. It is an early one with the barrel bushing. I never shot anything but standard pressure ammo in it. In all honesty the only thing I shoot +P in is my 38 revolvers, and very little of that.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
18# is standard for a Colt commander in .45auto. 22# sounds like an awful lot of spring in a 4" pistol. I'd certainly try some lower power recoil spring ( maybe with an increased hammer spring?) and check function.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
18# is standard for a Colt commander in .45auto. 22# sounds like an awful lot of spring in a 4" pistol. I'd certainly try some lower power recoil spring ( maybe with an increased hammer spring?) and check function.
I'm thinking my friend who has this gun now may try the lighter recoil spring. I had suggested a 20# recoil spring earlier but not sure if he did so or not. I suggested getting in touch with Springfield and seeing what they could tell him too. Thank you for your suggestion, I appreciate it.

nod

Active Fanatic
Les Baer support told me 18# for a 5" .45auto. I purchased one from LB and that is what I run in it. Right from Guncrafter, a 20# recoil spring in a 4.25" .45auto. I have a new 9mm 12# Wilson Combat spring for a 4.25"auto and a new 9mm Wilson Combat 4" 13# flat wire recoil spring for a Compact/Professional.

Mohel Knives

Active Fanatic
I had a SA GI lightweight Champ which I wish I didn't sell , ran real nice out of the box. I will be getting one of these new Ronins soon !!

Latest posts