SPP Primers

tul9033

Founding Member
I hesitate even asking, but is there a "best" SPP?
Most likely a personal preference thing, but I'm ready to buy 10K of something.
Wolf's just aren't working for me (used for practice rounds). I am leaning towards Winchesters. Really want something easy to seat and I figure with Win being brass they should be easier to seat. Federals may be too soft and I hear of people setting off a whole tube of em. I've been using CCI's too, but I'll still seat a high one every so often.

SigPig

Founding Member
Well my personal experience(many thousands reloaded) has been that any good qua;ity primer will work. Yes the federals are soft but I have never set a tube of them off. I know that Dillon (which is what I use) recommend Winchester or CCI. I used to use almost excluisevely Federal. I now use CCI a lot. I like the harder cup. Its all a personal preference for me.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I use a lot of Federal now. I pretty much have to in my revolvers and I try to keep one brand for simplicity.

During the glut I found and bought a decent qty of Winchesters and had real good luck with them. I wasn't shooting revolvers in comps then so it wasn't a big deal. I also bought 10K of Wolf SPP and have had a couple that didn't go off. I've had not a single problem with Wolf SRMs in my AR. But I don't like the way the Wolf primers load, they just don't go through the Dillon or my LNL when I had it as well as everything else does. When I run through all my Wolf, there will be no more. I'm stocking up on the Federal every chance I get.

But to sort of answer your question, the Winchesters loaded well and performed well for me, if they were as soft as Federals I'd use them exclusively. I hate Federal's packaging.

tul9033

Founding Member
Good point about the Federals, I have 3-4K of them and the packaging is a pain.
The wolf's seem to work well in a stock gun, especially a Glock but I have had issues with my M&P's. My comp guns don't seem to like them and I would never use them in competition anyway. I will say the brass colored Wolf's have been problem free for me.

I use a lot of Federal now. I pretty much have to in my revolvers and I try to keep one brand for simplicity.

During the glut I found and bought a decent qty of Winchesters and had real good luck with them. I wasn't shooting revolvers in comps then so it wasn't a big deal. I also bought 10K of Wolf SPP and have had a couple that didn't go off. I've had not a single problem with Wolf SRMs in my AR. But I don't like the way the Wolf primers load, they just don't go through the Dillon or my LNL when I had it as well as everything else does. When I run through all my Wolf, there will be no more. I'm stocking up on the Federal every chance I get.

But to sort of answer your question, the Winchesters loaded well and performed well for me, if they were as soft as Federals I'd use them exclusively. I hate Federal's packaging.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I couldn't get the wolf primers to run in my M&P's at all... Fortunately I was able to trade them out for primers that worked in my gun. It's my understanding that the wolf primers are REALY hard and the M&P striker won't set them off reliably. All of the Glock's I was able to try did not have this same problem though.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Strange. I did notice that the Wolf primers don't feed too well in my 550, but I've never had one not go off. Now as I'm *just* hobby shooter, y'all have probably shot more than I have, but I've gone through about 3k of them, and shot them through half a dozen guns with no issues. Glock, Sig, KelTec, Ruger wheelguns, S&W wheelguns, and I'm sure others. Mine are the brass colored ones, not silver.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Depends on what you're shooting.

My 1911's will set off the harder than hell Wolf small rifle primers (the ones they say to use in AR-15's), they tend to wack the crap out of the primer and really don't give it a chance to not go off.

Striker guns are different and will need a primer that wasn't forged in the fires of Mt Doom.

Winchesters are a great all around primer, when I reorder I'm getting a metric buttload of Wolf and a smattering of Winchesters for big matches.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Strange. I did notice that the Wolf primers don't feed too well in my 550, but I've never had one not go off. Now as I'm *just* hobby shooter, y'all have probably shot more than I have, but I've gone through about 3k of them, and shot them through half a dozen guns with no issues. Glock, Sig, KelTec, Ruger wheelguns, S&W wheelguns, and I'm sure others. Mine are the brass colored ones, not silver.

Nikat,

Try them in a gun with a worked over trigger and you'll start to see the problems these guys are talking about.

Latest posts