Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron coated BCG

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I did a review on this a while back and figured I'd post it here too.

First, Spike's Tactical is an outstanding company from Florida with great customer service. I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I am in no way affiliated with Spike's Tactical.

Second, the BCG they say is made "in-house" by them and the Nickel Boron coating is done by Fail Zero.

I bought the NiB BCG because I had heard and read that they required no lube because the NiB had "self lubricating" properties. I can say that I haven't found that to be true.

I will say that it does run longer without lube than a regular BCG, but it still needs lube. Maybe not as much as a normal BCG.

I took it out and shot maybe 600 to 800 rounds through it, not all at once but over several sessions and a 3 gun match. I didn't have any problems but the grime was getting to be too much so I had to clean it.

I had also heard that you could just "wipe it off" and it would be good as new. Well I tried that. It really didn't work. The carbon fouling on the bolt was pretty bad and it needed to be soaked in BF CLP and some other solvent I had, then scrubbed with a copper brush and tooth brush. I finally got it pretty clean but the coating was discolored. For me, the discoloration wasn't a big deal because I'm not too concerned with the looks but I was very disappointed that the BCG didn't "wipe clean".

Picture time!

Dirty:
cec72c25.jpg

a38ef47f.jpg

92df3f5a.jpg

7dab6e61.jpg

fd842bb3.jpg

68509647.jpg

c2ed3cdf.jpg

Clean:

a6e4c510.jpg

424199a4.jpg

9bd9883e.jpg

be19e2c7.jpg

835d8db4.jpg

736cbffb.jpg

As you can see it didn't really clean up like I thought it would. The finish is discolored from the heat I guess.

It runs perfect. A lot of people that purchased these complained about the finish. It shows tooling marks horribly. The tool marks are on every BCG but the NiB coating exaggerates them. Again, looks aren't as important as function to me.

To sum it up, I am pretty disappointed in it. For the price paid, I expected it to be amazing. Its not amazing, its just OK.

Worth the money.. IMO, No. It works but it doesn't perform exactly as they say in terms of wiping clean and being able to run totally lubeless.

I have since done another test with it and found that if lubed, maybe not as much as what some people lube, but if lubed some, the carbon on the bolt comes off a lot easier. If I go shoot a lot, allow the rifle to sit for a few days before cleaning it, the carbon hardens and is a pain to get off.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

This post has been promoted to an article

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
Spikes is one of love companies you love to hate. They have some cool stuff but are so Overpriced IMHO. And I have a Spikes tattoo on my right buttock.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I think they have decent pricing. After the "election" I guess they price gouged but I wasnt around for that.
They've always been fair to me.

tul9033

Founding Member
I think they kinda broke even. Weren't lowers $89 after the rush? However, they had already pissed many people off with the price hikes post Obama.
I have some Spikes gear and it GTG. They make the best 9mm carbine mags IMO (or metalform makes them).

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I like the spider on the Bolt carrier but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Good review Wormy!!!

:72:

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Wormy(or to whom if may concern), I'm going to get in on the Loki upper group buy, and I will need to get a BCG with my upper. It is right at $70 difference between the standard BCG and the fail zero BCG. I'm not necessarily worried about performance, I personally like the chrome/stainless look of the bolt compared to flat black. Would you say the $70 is an ok deal?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
It won't stay stainless/chrome looking forever. Here's mine after two matches. It has about 3,000 total on it now.

5ff6aa8c.jpg

d24eb3ee.jpg

Here's what it looks like clean.

cf7a391d.jpg

e72482e7.jpg

I've seen no added benefit of the NiB vs chrome or hell even a standard BCG. If it's just for looks then look at my pics and think if this is what you want for the future. I dont know how much you shoot or even if you plan to shoot it so it may not be an issue for you. The looks don't bother me now. I've never had a malfunction and thats #1 importance to me.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Thanks for the quick response. Like you the main objective is no malfunctions, I wasn't necessarily trying to run without lube or whatever the advantages are supposed to be. Guess I'll put the extra $70 towards ammo.

Oh, and I just plan to plink at the range mostly. Maybe one of these days I'll try my hand in one of the 3-gun matches.

dennishoddy

I have the spikes BCG standard model, on an upper, and don't have any problems. I was interested in how this thread was going to turn out.
I haven't done the endurance test.

I love this site. Real info, not Bull Hockey.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I opted for the standard BCG. I can always go for the EXO coated next time. Good write up, very informative.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Wormy, there's a lot to be said for writing a review based on something that you actucally went out and did yourself! Don't sell the value of that short...

IMHO this is information that can be counted on and not the kind of thing found on every website out there.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Great review. I'm a firm believer that nickle-boron type BCG's are best suited for piston guns. I run my LWRCi pretty much bone dry. If I know I'm going to be sending 1000's of rounds, then I'll put a drop of Slip2000 EWL enough for a very thin coat and that's it.

After about a 1000's rounds on a piston gun, most of the grime around the bolt is copper fouling with just a little bit of carbon.

Latest posts