SP 01 versus Shadow 2

Baldwin

Fanatic
I've never owned a CZ. I've read a lot about them but have no experience with them but I've been wanting one for a while. I was pretty decided on buying one of the "souped up" SP 01s from either CGW or CZ Custom. And then I realized that for a little more I could get Shadow 2, which sounds like more gun than the SP 01s and probably wouldn't need any souping up. This is going to be a range/nightstand gun. I'm thinking the S2 would be the way to go. Am I looking at this correctly? Any advice? (please don't say buy both)

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
it is a personal choice. the shadow 2 seems to have a mor e fullsized, hand filling grip. and they seem a bit heavier than the sp 01(productions)

I went with Cz customs shadow guns. I hear cajuns are great too. both customize the guns they are not just production guns. you will not regret what you buy and will probably get 1 sp01 and 1 shadow 2 in the end

enjoy

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
I would defiantly listen to boatdoc... I just got a Shadow 2 and thinking already I should have done what botdoc suggests. Now I will have to pack it up and ship it off to Cajun or back to the mother ship for some upgrading..

corsokid

Fanatic
it is a personal choice. the shadow 2 seems to have a mor e fullsized, hand filling grip. and they seem a bit heavier than the sp 01(productions)

I went with Cz customs shadow guns. I hear cajuns are great too. both customize the guns they are not just production guns. you will not regret what you buy and will probably get 1 sp01 and 1 shadow 2 in the end

enjoy
Hello boatdoc. Need you to help me understand more about the CZ lineup. As you know I'm a DW guy especially if our friend Steve O works them over for me. So I naturally looked at the 9mm that CZ puts out. I recently purchased a 75 sao new for what I considered a resonble price. Nice gun easy to shoot well and super easy to clean up. So here's my question. If I'm going to pay over a grand and then have to send it off to tuners won't I be better off looking for DWs in 9 mm? Or is this one of those personal preference situations ? I know thru the grapevine that you have a lot of experience with buying pistols so if you can please share your considered thoughts. Thanks buddy.

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
Ive had Glocks,HiPowers etc.Just got a CZ75B s/a 6months ago and have been shooting it in competition .All I can say is great guns.I got the S/A model cause I love 1911.Ive shot the Shadow and its a dream to shoot.

Dwb57

New Fanatic
I own a spo1 shadow and a shadow2 and love both. Both are very easy to tune to your liking by just changing a couple springs. Both of my shadows have about 2-1/2 pounds triggers in sa which is the only way I shoot them in plate matches. I do slightly prefer the shadow 2 ,it's just a nicer looking pistol imo, both are good shooters.. You won't be disappointed with either one. Good luck.

peter997

New Fanatic
I've never owned a CZ. I've read a lot about them but have no experience with them but I've been wanting one for a while. I was pretty decided on buying one of the "souped up" SP 01s from either CGW or CZ Custom. And then I realized that for a little more I could get Shadow 2, which sounds like more gun than the SP 01s and probably wouldn't need any souping up. This is going to be a range/nightstand gun. I'm thinking the S2 would be the way to go. Am I looking at this correctly? Any advice? (please don't say buy both)
I own 2 CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow pistols, 3 pound trigger. A friend told me if you really like a gun you should buy a second one, which I did. I just love my CZs.

peter997

New Fanatic
I own 2 CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow pistols. 3 lbs trigger. A friend told me if you really like a gun buy a second one, which I did. I just love my CZs.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello boatdoc. Need you to help me understand more about the CZ lineup. As you know I'm a DW guy especially if our friend Steve O works them over for me. So I naturally looked at the 9mm that CZ puts out. I recently purchased a 75 sao new for what I considered a resonble price. Nice gun easy to shoot well and super easy to clean up. So here's my question. If I'm going to pay over a grand and then have to send it off to tuners won't I be better off looking for DWs in 9 mm? Or is this one of those personal preference situations ? I know thru the grapevine that you have a lot of experience with buying pistols so if you can please share your considered thoughts. Thanks buddy.

IMHO there are no "regular guns(da/sa...) that match the trigger and accuracy of a 1911 and DW make some fine 1911s in 9mm. My fav is a PM9.

That said, in the regular g un category.. a cz custom shop shadow comes as close to a 1911 trigger as you can get. very light . guns ar e more accurate than I am. I LOVE their shadow line. Once you get one..no addition work is needed other than loading mags :). Heck the accushadow ( about 1800 dollars) even uses a barrel bushing. so many choices, so few $$( ps do not go by the sold out posts on the CZC site--contact them and they will build your gun in 8 weeks or so)

or you can buy a shadow model and let Steve add the cajun GW parts. probably get the same effect.

as my wife says--"they just go off"

peter997

New Fanatic
You can call CZ USA to get their product catalog. On page 42 of my 2017 catalog you find specs and pricing for all their handguns.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I would defiantly listen to boatdoc... I just got a Shadow 2 and thinking already I should have done what botdoc suggests. Now I will have to pack it up and ship it off to Cajun or back to the mother ship for some upgrading..
thanks for the vote of confidence.

I do love my CZ guns for sure. AND I am a huge fan of the CZ custom models. I have been treated right by them. Not sure the shadow 2 is a huge improvement over the shadow line. CZ custom did offer "tuned" shadow guns for $880( I see now they are close to 1300).

Last edited:

Targetfan

Fanatic
I have a Shadow since 10 years and last summer while shopping for a Shadow 2, I also tried a CZ TS (tactical sport) that I finally bought. The trigger is superb and have noting to be improved.
Yes it is more expensive, but less than the Shadow 2 plus modifications. I am not a fan of modifying my guns, I believe that I get a better value if I invest this money in guns that fill my expectations right out of the box.

Targetfan

Fanatic
You cannot go wrong with the shadow 2. It is defitely an improved shadow 1 and they look very nice.
Enjoy your new acquisition!

easy10

Fanatic
CZs can be a little hard to rack. Some of the slides don't give you a lot to grab a hold of.

Last edited:

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Have a CZ 75-P01 which was a good gun. Immediately sent it in to CGW and it's now a great gun. Still with stock sights, which work fine for me. Had Davis make an AIWB holster and now have replaced my prior ECG with the CZ.

Last edited: