Source of clean water

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Berkey water filter. It filters out just about everything and requires neither heat nor electricity.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Here's an idea for a source of distilled water, assuming you can generate power somehow: a dehumidifier.
Keep 'em coming, but it was meant more in the spirit of using everyday non-prepper items. So if you don't have any of your filters and such, maybe you can find a dehumidifier or an air conditioner. Assuming you have a power source. I know it's far fetched, but... just saying, they put out some water. In case no one noticed.

I like the survivalstill. Looks like you just boil water and let the steam hit something cold.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
bigfutz said:
Here's an idea for a source of distilled water, assuming you can generate power somehow: a dehumidifier.
Keep 'em coming, but it was meant more in the spirit of using everyday non-prepper items. So if you don't have any of your filters and such, maybe you can find a dehumidifier or an air conditioner. Assuming you have a power source. I know it's far fetched, but... just saying, they put out some water. In case no one noticed.

I like the survivalstill. Looks like you just boil water and let the steam hit something cold.

It seems like it would be more energy efficient and less time-consuming to find a source of otherwise contaminated water (river, pond, toilet, et al.) and boil this water with a lid covering it. Bore a hole through the lid and place a rubber or plastic hose through the hole and have the vapor drain into another container. Of course, you should strain the water as much as possible prior to boiling it. Using coffee filters or even your clothing to catch large particulates or contaminants.

You should be able to yield larger quantities than a dehumidifier. It won't be perfect but perfection isn't required when the alternative to action is certain death.

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not sure about using the dehumidifier as an everyday source of water. You'd want to make sure all the internals were really clean otherwise you'd be drinking oily/dirty water.

Like I said, I have the Berkey filter that we use for everyday and we also have the fluoride filter on it. Each filter is good for about 3000 gallons before they need to be replaced (I believe that's assuming fairly clean water to start with). with 4 people in my house drinking water we drink around 2 gallons per day (I have 2 young kids that don't drink as much). Our Berkey has 2 filters so it should be good for 6000 gallons. 6000 / 2 = 3000 days at current levels. 3000/365 = 8.2 years worth of clean water from our filters. So while it's expensive up front, It's not that expensive considering how long it will last.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
if water is all you have current levels wont work.

if both filters are being used can you suppose that means double the quanties?

im not knocking it, i want a filter too.

ill probably just get the filters and use the bucket system. i think 2 filters are $100.

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
if water is all you have current levels wont work.

if both filters are being used can you suppose that means double the quanties?

im not knocking it, i want a filter too.

ill probably just get the filters and use the bucket system. i think 2 filters are $100.

from http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/helpful-resources/faq/
How often do the Black Berkey purification elements need to be replaced?
Each element has an expected life of 3,000 gallons or 6,000 gallons for a set of two.

And yes, if all we had to drink was water then we would probably drink more. But we really don't drink much else now. A glass of OJ in the morning and that's about it. I make tea which I use filtered water for but I don't make it every day. We don't drink coffee or soda. We are pretty much just drinking water. Although we do drink some at restaurants so if we didn't go out we would drink more.

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
flareback said:
I have a Berkey water filter. It filters out just about everything and requires neither heat nor electricity.
How do you size these things? Do all the Berkey's use the same filter?
All the filters are the same size. They differ in the number of filters in them and the amount of water they can hold.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
BenMara said:
http://survivalstill.com/

Now THAT'S interesting.

I don't want to pay $280 for one...anyone got an idea of how to build something like that? A small, easy to set up water distillation unit that can produce a couple gallons of clean drinking water per day would be a useful and fun thing to build.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Curious what's more effective, not necessarily what can put out the most units per hour, but the water purification system that performs the best in terms of cleanliness of water output. I do like the fact that the filtration system requires nothing but gravity to work...some type of distillery would require a constant heat source which may not always be possible. I'd be tempted to boil the filtered water just on the off chance the filter didn't remove everything it was supposed to.

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
Curious what's more effective, not necessarily what can put out the most units per hour, but the water purification system that performs the best in terms of cleanliness of water output. I do like the fact that the filtration system requires nothing but gravity to work...some type of distillery would require a constant heat source which may not always be possible. I'd be tempted to boil the filtered water just on the off chance the filter didn't remove everything it was supposed to.
I would imagine that using a distillery system would be the best. But it has the downside of requiring a heat source. I did some searching and one site says distillation is the best method while another says some viruses will still make it through.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i think they call them 1 micron filters. they are supposed to kill everything that will kill us.

damn now im thinking its .5 micron if there is such.

just checked and the filter gets the chemicals but an ultra violet light kills all the virues and bacteria. need power again.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
i think they call them 1 micron filters. they are supposed to kill everything that will kill us.

damn now im thinking its .5 micron if there is such.

just checked and the filter gets the chemicals but an ultra violet light kills all the virues and bacteria. need power again.

http://www.rei.com/product/830862/camel ... 1b2166becc

This little guy treats 16 gallons of water with one filter and the UV light battery that kills the remaining bacteria can be recharged with a small solar panel. One or two of these would be great if you had to leg it and had to limit how much weight in water you started out with.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
that looks great but they say how long the batt lasts and how long the uv light lasts why dont they say how long the $15 filter lasts, or did i miss it?

Latest posts