Sorta new...

jhp147

New Fanatic
I thought I joined here years ago, I get the emails...but when I tried to sign on and see a pic, no go. So, I'm here now (and a couple of other places). Retired cop (39 years) who carries a SAC/Combat Commander now instead of what the Department "allows" (tried to stick Glocks down my throat for years but I pretty much bleed Colt and S&W blue when I'm cut). Shot the guns for years but now have time to work and piddle with them more, would love to be able to go beyond what I know as there is so much to learn about these guns.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from S. California. Yeah for JMB & Colt 1911's too.
Thanks for your service !!!
supporting: Law & Order, the Rule of Law, our Declaration of Independence from tyranny, our Constitution and the Bill of Rights !!!

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
Good for you at 39 years! I thought I was stubborn at 32. Welcome to the forum. Your opinion of Glocks is one I shared for years until I went to a Glock armorer's course. I came away from that with a much greater respect for the design and supported it as a natural for law enforcement. I was a range master and couldn't imagine trying to keep some of the more name brands running if there wasn't uniformity. Plus, so many new cops don't have any experience with sidearms ( or any arms at all) and the Glock fills that niche very well. But, nothing is better than a good 1911 for EDC. Enjoy your well earned retirement.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation

jhp147

New Fanatic
Yeah, Rick, you are certainly right about that. Glocks are definitely the go-to guns for every reason you stated. Especially upkeep, as we had ONE rangemaster responsible for lots of things and most of the guys never so much as wiped the gun off between quals. They still went bang except when a trigger springs rusted and broke. I stand behind a counter and sell them quite happily in retirement. This was a personal matter with the company, not the gun. Plus I was an armorer for the M&P (and 3rd gen guns) and officers bought their own guns. I kept parts and a second gun, so I was NO work to the rangemaster and didn't see why I should change. In the end, I was grandfathered in so it didn't matter. But, politics and personalities got involved.
Yeah, 39. 38 I loved getting up for every day (or night, depending...). I'm quite happy to get up and drink coffee on the porch and show up at the gun store or range when I want, and got a home work bench with more gun tools and parts than I know how to use. So I want to fix a few 1911 things myself so I don't have to depend on other folks. Been reading about it for years on the forums but now I want to sit down and do it.
Thanks, everyone.