Some random pics from the AOPA fly in, SIU Carbondale

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
Is that a T33 in the top pic?
What is the story on the round disc? I get the temp scale and color but what is it from? Valve?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, that is an old T33, seems as if it was donated and it is to be restored for static display.

Those two pics snuck in there. The picture is a burned exhaust valve from a Lycoming. I sat in on a seminar that had three iconic A&P speakers. The pictures show the discolorations and how the temps generally progress when they burn.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Good picts! I don't fly, but love looking at airplanes and watching them take off and land.

1911U004

Well-Known Fanatic
I wasn't sure if it was a t33 or a p80 that someone had stretched out to a two seater, like a few p51's I've seen.

Interesting information on the valve. I'd always figured that the stem would pull heat out not keep heat in...

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
If I remember correctly, a P80 had more pronounced inlets for the engine. They protruded into the airstream considerably more than a T33.

The stem will pull some heat from the valve face and transfer it into the valve guide and head. Sodium filled valve stems have been used to help dissipate even more heat. They have drawbacks as well.

When a valve discolors like in the pic, it is usually due to a failed valve rotator. Debris builds up, causing the valve to dissipate less heat into the valve seat and head. The valve begins to warp and it dissipates even less heat to the seat. It just keeps getting worse for the poor exhaust valve

Last edited:

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
Dang, didn't know you were a Jedi Knight and an X-wing fighter pilot.

Brings back a lot of memories for me. My Dad was an AOPA member and had an old Breitling Navigator he bought for $50 in the late '60's. I regret helping him sell that watch on eBay, but he did enjoy getting $1,850 for something he bought used for $50.

I would have loved to have that watch.

I think I still have some of his old maps and navigational charts and rulers from back then. I'll try to dig them up for a little "show and tell".

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not a pilot, just a wrenchbender.

While most of the AOPA seminars are geared toward pilots, there is lot to learn. I sat in on a seminar to see the pilot side of civilian aviation maintenance. Also talked to three iconic A&P technicians. They are the masters of the trade.

rjinaz86323

Well-Known Fanatic
My Dad used to go to a lot of fly-ins. He was a pilot (civilian) for most of his life. We owned several different planes while he was alive. In the Air Force he was a crew chief for a T33 squadron, so he he did most of his own maintenance. His favorite fly-in was the big one up in Oshkosh, WI. I don't think he ever missed that one.