Some .22 LR Fun Today

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My Dad gave me a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle for my 16th birthday. It will soon be 40 years old. I have taken care of it through the years and it's in pristine condition.

I've upgraded a few things and added some nice accessories.

-22 inch barrel.
-Last shot bolt hold open (I added this feature. Marlin added it the year after my rifle was built.)
-18+1 capacity

Things I've added.

Walnut stock
Williams fiber optic sights
Leupold 3x9x40 Rifleman scope
Leupold see through dovetail scope mounts
Montana Slings leather adjustable sling
Mcarbo trigger spring set
Diversified Innovative Products (DIP Inc.) aluminum trigger guard
DIP Precision target trigger
DIP tactical charging handle

I put over 60 rds. through it today. She's still a tack driver and the Leupold scope has held 0 perfectly. It's been about 2 1/2 years since I last fired it. It's as fun to shoot as ever.

I would never get my money out of it. Of course, I would never sell it anyway.

dennishoddy

A real beauty.

View attachment 33497
I have that same rifle hanging from a nail in the sling swivel in the barn for quick work on varmints.
Actually, bought three of them when Gibsons went out of business and were selling them for $50 each.
Gave two of them for Christmas presents to friends.
3X9 Tasco scope on it that cost more than the rifle before tasco went walmart quality. I keep a muzzle protector on it so mud dobbers can't build a nest, and clean it every year, fired or not. Pretty darned accurate to this day.
Speaking of .22's, was in Cabellas the other day and a F&N 502 tactical in .22lr caught my eye and came home with me.
Same frame as the F&N 509 in 9mm that is in the nightstand. I can see a suppressor in the future for it with the threaded barrel.
.22's suppressed are really quiet.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have that same rifle hanging from a nail in the sling swivel in the barn for quick work on varmints.
Actually, bought three of them when Gibsons went out of business and were selling them for $50 each.
3X9 Tasco scope on it that cost more than the rifle before tasco went walmart quality. I keep a muzzle protector on it so mud dobbers can't build a nest, and clean it every year, fired or not. Pretty darned accurate to this day.
Speaking of .22's, was in Cabellas the other day and a F&N 502 tactical in .22lr caught my eye and came home with me.
Same frame as the F&N 509 in 9mm that is in the nightstand. I can see a suppressor in the future for it with the threaded barrel.
Yessss

Fan1911

New Fanatic
Gibson's! Haven't thought of that store in a long time!

Dave

Fanatic
My dad got me a Model 75 (shorter than a 60) for my birthday....my actual birthday. 2 months after I was born...I guess he was excited to get me! Still have that little guy... Tore through many rifles in my youth but I was always pretty careful with this one. Haven't done a thing to it other than clean it. Still shoots like a dream.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a Marlin 60 and I've never been able to shoot an entire magazine without issues. I get all kinds of jams and I've replaced all kinds of parts. I'm thinking of taking it to a gunsmith because this thing is kicking my ass.

View attachment 33522
What ammo is that? It looks like Remington Thunderbolt or Winchester Wildcat. If so, that's probably the problem. Try some CCI Mini Mags. Also, how long has it been since you disassembled and cleaned it?

dennishoddy

Took the new F&N 502 in .22 RF and put my .30 cal suppressor on it today. Way too big and heavy for that pistol, but am interested in buying a suppressor designed for .22.
We have burn barrels behind the shop for trash that also make great places to test out a new firearm, and adds ventilation to the barrel.
I was pretty shocked at the results. The bullet hitting the barrel was louder than the report from the firearm.
Now, I know there will be a suppressor ordered.

dennishoddy

Bought my .22 rated suppresser today. The little bird that weighs just 2 oz and is tunable by the owner. The time clock is started now with the delivery times from the ATF at 6 to 8 months currently which is insane for an inanimate device that only quiets the report of the firearm, yet we can purchase a lethal firearm with an almost instant background check.
It doesn't make sense.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Bought my .22 rated suppresser today. The little bird that weighs just 2 oz and is tunable by the owner. The time clock is started now with the delivery times from the ATF at 6 to 8 months currently which is insane for an inanimate device that only quiets the report of the firearm, yet we can purchase a lethal firearm with an almost instant background check.
It doesn't make sense.
Most ridiculous of all the ridiculousness.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
My suppressor took 8 months to get, but I've been told that if I get another one, it will get to me a lot sooner because I have already gone thru the process with the 1st one, & the suppressor company has all the info it needs for the 2nd one. I came close to buying another one, two actually when Silencer central had a BOGO offer recently. My Banish 30 does great on my .223 Wylde's & my 300 blackouts, but doesn't work as good as i want it to on my .22LR AR, so I will get a .22 suppressor for it, the next time I see the BOGO offer. Now when I order my custom barrels, I have them ( Blackhole Weaponry ) thread the 5.56 barrel ends in the 5/8 x 24 thread so I don't need to use the 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter when i put the suppressor on my 5.56 or .223 Wyldes. The wait sucks but after years of putting it off, I'm glad I finally did it. Now I might get the SBR tax stamp next, since the corrupt ATF keeps going after pistol braces. My Sherriff has told me that he won't be enforcing that atf rule & that he's not removing his brace on his AR pistol. Which is great, but I take mine to different states too and don't want the hassle or ticket just because I have a brace on mine.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I too have owned a couple of Marlin mod. 60's... was the 1st semi-auto .22 I bought for myself, shortly after my time in the USN.. K-Mart used to run a sales ad nearly every week, advertising the Mod. 60's for $ 49.99. Bought one, enjoyed shooting it for a couple of years & bought a 2nd one, thinking..if this ever breaks, I'll have a back -up. Put a lot of rds thru mine, Federal Lightnings would go on sale for $9.99 / brick (500rds).. I'd buy a few & didn't take long to go thru them.
Not sure why I later bought a Ruger 10-22, but I did. Maybe I preferred the magazine ( could load spare 10 rnd.mags) and quickly reload. Then other mag makers came out with 25 rnd, & 50 rnd mags for the 10-22. Stopped shooting my Marlin & was using the Ruger. Must have disliked the tubular mag, as the Marlin was probably as accurate as the Ruger..don't believe I ever did a comparison between the 2 rifles. I do remember giving my 1st beloved Marlin 60 to a good friend in San Diego, when I moved to Mi. (1987) Think I sold the other Marlin , after buying a 2nd 10-22, as well as a Winchester Mod. 94-22.. one of the most beautiful firearms I've owned

Trooper343

Fanatic
My suppressor took 8 months to get, but I've been told that if I get another one, it will get to me a lot sooner because I have already gone thru the process with the 1st one, & the suppressor company has all the info it needs for the 2nd one. I came close to buying another one, two actually when Silencer central had a BOGO offer recently. My Banish 30 does great on my .223 Wylde's & my 300 blackouts, but doesn't work as good as i want it to on my .22LR AR, so I will get a .22 suppressor for it, the next time I see the BOGO offer. Now when I order my custom barrels, I have them ( Blackhole Weaponry ) thread the 5.56 barrel ends in the 5/8 x 24 thread so I don't need to use the 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter when i put the suppressor on my 5.56 or .223 Wyldes. The wait sucks but after years of putting it off, I'm glad I finally did it. Now I might get the SBR tax stamp next, since the corrupt ATF keeps going after pistol braces. My Sherriff has told me that he won't be enforcing that atf rule & that he's not removing his brace on his AR pistol. Which is great, but I take mine to different states too and don't want the hassle or ticket just because I have a brace on mine.
Should take about four months. BATFE is not the holdup, it is the FBI.

Latest posts