Social Security linked to NICS?

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Your SS# is optional on form 4473. You do not have to provide it to the dealer who in turn, does not have it to provide to NICS. It has been on the 4473 as long as I can remember.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
Your SS# is optional on form 4473. You do not have to provide it to the dealer who in turn, does not have it to provide to NICS. It has been on the 4473 as long as I can remember.
Ok, so for now it's optional. I get that, but that can soon change and likely will if what is in the article passes.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Excerpt from LA Times article:

"Seeking tighter controls over firearm purchases, the Obama administration is pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, a move that could affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others."

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
It will still be optional. You don't have to have a social security number(yet 99% of people have one assigned by their parents shortly after birth) and resident and non resident aliens are allowed to purchase firearms and they also don't have ss#.
This won't pass if you, I and everyone else that is concerned or not does their part and contacts their congresspeoples.

dennishoddy

StealthESW said:
Excerpt from LA Times article:

"Seeking tighter controls over firearm purchases, the Obama administration is pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, a move that could affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others."
That particular part of the language that says lacking the mental capacity to manage their own affairs could sure be misused by a gov official to mean somebody that doesn't understand the stock market and puts their retirement funds with a money manager is not mentally capable of managing their own affairs.
Bad deal.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
That particular part of the language that says lacking the mental capacity to manage their own affairs could sure be misused by a gov official to mean somebody that doesn't understand the stock market and puts their retirement funds with a money manager is not mentally capable of managing their own affairs.
Bad deal.
I agree with you on that.

I see that if this does pass, that your SSN will have to be required on the forms in order for it to have any affect in purchases. I mean, what would be the point in passing a bill like this if the SSN is to remain optional?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you really think that they don't already know if any guns, how many, or how scary, are owned by social security # xxx-xx-xxxx?

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
I did know this was already being done to Veterans. However, I think it needs to be more specific in the way it is applied. I can see that people could be added to the list that don't need to be on it.

From link below:
"The Social Security administration is considering an adoption of a policy already in place at the Veteran's Administration, where people who have been assigned a "representative payee" have been permanently placed into the NICS background check system as ineligble to purchase a firearm."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/09/17/nra-backs-legislation-protecting-rights-of-people-who-need-financial-help-with-social-security-n2053345#!

Latest posts