Smith Back-Up

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a course created by TDSA's own Denny Smith, with the exception of a few seconds added to each section to compensate for the less skilled (I definitely appreciated the extra time!), introduced to me by one of the greatest Instructors in the country, Mr. Vince O'neill. Its original name is not the Smith Back-Up course, but something like "Leave No Officer Behind Course" or something along those lines, but named this for a reason I don't know. ;) I believe what Denny did was shoot this course as fast as he could accurately, shooting 100% and added a few seconds to it. I believe it was introduced into the CLEET Firearms Instructor School last year. Reading the course description, it sounds easy, but it's definitely a very tough and competitive course. Try it for yourself!

The Smith Back-Up is as follows: All rounds are fired from your hind two legs! From the holster, no support,. All strings are five rounds each starting at the 50, 25, 7, and 3 yard lines.

50 yards: 5 rds., 15 seconds
25 yards: 5 rds., 08 seconds
7 yards: 5 rds., 03 seconds
3 yards: 5 rds., 03 seconds, one-hand point-shoulder aim.

90% is the minimum for CLEET FIS. I believe the first time I shot it, I shot a 60%, and this was after shooting about 1500 rounds the week before during Phase 1&2 PPC.

TroyF

TheBearcat
CLeet standard target. I'd say roughly "C" zone of a USPSA target would be close. Any think in the c would be worth 5 points....

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
What is "one-hand point-shoulder aim"?

What target and how do you get a % score?

My bad, I didn't think about specifying that. It is off a CLEET target. One hand shoulder aim is fancy for one hand shooting ;). just divide the hits to total. 18 hits inside scoring ring/20 shots=90% etc.

cheech_029

Well-Known Fanatic
If I shoot above a 60% the first time do I get to sport an Asian Pho-hawk?!?! (Pho....play on words there EF9...rah, rah, rah)

Looks like a good shootin course. Did VO shoot it all with his coffee mug in the other hand? :)

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
If I shoot above a 60% the first time do I get to sport an Asian Pho-hawk?!?! (Pho....play on words there EF9...rah, rah, rah)

Looks like a good shootin course. Did VO shoot it all with his coffee mug in the other hand? :)

Bwahaha. I rike that arot! pho-hawk. rah rah rah! ass :p

Latest posts