Slide Lock Back w/ One Left in Magazine

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Questions for those with more knowledge than I have on the topic... Okay, that's everyone here:

What is causing my slide to lock back with one left in the factory magazine? The pistol is a RIA M1911 A2 FS in .22 TCM. I can take them apart to clean them and that is where my knowledge STOPS! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The activation tab on the magazine follower is activating the slide lock.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
The activation tab on the magazine follower is activating the slide lock.
Okay... so... is that easily fixed by me or does a smith need to see it? I'm guess smith since I'm not even sure where those two come together...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It's easily fixed. I don't have a mag handy to take a pic of it, but it's the tab in the front left corner of the follower if you were looking at it from the top.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
It's easily fixed. I don't have a mag handy to take a pic of it, but it's the tab in the front left corner of the follower if you were looking at it from the top.
b31bca8b43e1af63c10f549d88ccb952.jpg
3718fa9f4a3148d3364cb2cd06200af0.jpg

I'm guessing you're talking about this? So what needs to be done?

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I took the link mattmiller put up and contacted Armscore to see what the solution is. We shall see what they say. I recently ordered 3 extra mags and I'll see if they do it as well. I've seen a couple of blog entries that are saying the magazines need tuned. ***** of it all is, if any unauthorized gunsmith does work on the pistol, it voids the warranty. Depending on what Armscore has to say, I may have a pistol without a warranty. [emoji50]

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
If you have added a larger "tactical" extended slide release, this can also be your problem. Even on factory Glock 34's, I have locked it back on a loaded magazine with my fat thumb. Changed all mine out to standard sided.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
If you have added a larger "tactical" extended slide release, this can also be your problem. Even on factory Glock 34's, I have locked it back on a loaded magazine with my fat thumb. Changed all mine out to standard sided.
It's [emoji817]% factory. Still has the factory lube pouring out of it. I think they may have developed a time release oil they dip these things in!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Modifying the mag follower won't affect the warranty, and locking the slide back via an "empty" mag is not desirable on a high capacity pistol if it means that you lose a round every time it happens.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
Modifying the mag follower won't affect the warranty, and locking the slide back via an "empty" mag is not desirable on a high capacity pistol if it means that you lose a round every time it happens.
I guess that makes sense since it's not the pistol I would be modifying. I read on one blog that the feed lips maybe too wide and need to be tuned. How does one go about that without throwing them off one way or the other? I'm sure they need to have a specific measurement between the lips but how does one go about making sure one lip doesn't get moved more than the other? Things for me to consider, I guess.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
PeteMcGuire1881 said:
I guess that makes sense since it's not the pistol I would be modifying. I read on one blog that the feed lips maybe too wide and need to be tuned. How does one go about that without throwing them off one way or the other? I'm sure they need to have a specific measurement between the lips but how does one go about making sure one lip doesn't get moved more than the other? Things for me to consider, I guess.

You can get a Dawson precision mag tuning kit. It comes with instructions on how to tune your mags

Latest posts