SKS Magazine problem

RyanEOD

Well-Known Fanatic
All, I have what I believe is a Russian SKS that for some reason the magazines (30 rounds) that I have for it just won't stay locked in. They keep dropping out after 1 or two shots. In looking up inside, there is an area where the front of the magazine inserts into. I know my description sucks - I will try to get pictures tonight. Well, the part that the magazine inserts into seems to not be long enough and doesn't fully catch the magazines. Wear maybe? I would like to get this working again. I am wondering if it is worth getting aftermarket parts for it? Or getting it to a gunsmith for fixing it? Basically it was a HS graduation gift way back when and I have never got it working and would like to. These 30 round magazines and this can of rounds is just going to waste! :)

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sir: You are having what a lot of people say is a normal problem...That 30 round magazine was not ment to go on that rifle...They came with a 10 round, non-removable magazine. Your mag is aftermarket. Everyone says they don't work.

I have an SKS and I would love to have the removable 30 round mag...But everyone says all they are is trouble...They fall off, and they either jam, or won't feed.

I would look for an original mag...Here is a great Forum to learn about the SKS:

http://www.sksboards.com

Maybe you should spend some time on some of their articles...The know their SKS's...

Hope this helps.

Steve

RyanEOD

Well-Known Fanatic
I thinks this right here is my problem:

It's probably not the mag that needs modifying. Take the rifle out of the stock. Put the trigger in place. Lock up the mag and CAREFULLY rack a few rounds. If it works, then it's your stock. Most likely culprit is the stock mag well needs relieving a pinch. If the mag won't lock up, take a pinch of material off the front tab on the duckbill. That will move the mag forward a touch and allow the back end to latch properly.

From here:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php? ... msg1009794

Now . . to figure all that out . . I will dig in this weekend.

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
What you need is a 10 rd original mag. If you are gonna be in the Greenville area send me a PM i may can help. As fordnut has stated the duckbill mags are very problematic. It is NOT something you need a gunsmith to fix. It is not the problem of the gun.It is a mag problem. The Russian sks uses stripperclips to load. With a little practise you can relaod as faster than you can change a mag.

RyanEOD

Well-Known Fanatic
Stripperclips and 10 round magazine it is. I just need to figure out where to buy and then install them. Lafayette Gregory, I am never really in the Greenville area, but I mean, I could be! :) I am up in the Charlotte area, but on the SC side!

Jhall06

New Fanatic
A russian sks has a 20 round duckbill mag that is the best for it. I know the sks has this because I have had to use one in Iraq during a firefight when the barrel on my m4 went white hot. So gentlemen use the correctly intended equipment not an ak47 mag. It was built to replicate the German sturmgewehr but is better in my opinion. Don't do shaving off materials that are meant to be there.

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
Jhall06 said:
A russian sks has a 20 round duckbill mag that is the best for it. I know the sks has this because I have had to use one in Iraq during a firefight when the barrel on my m4 went white hot. So gentlemen use the correctly intended equipment not an ak47 mag. It was built to replicate the German sturmgewehr but is better in my opinion. Don't do shaving off materials that are meant to be there.

What you are saying makes no sence :roll:

All Russian type 49, all Albanian, all Chinese type 56, All Romanian and all Yugoslovian sks use a standard 10 rd magazine. This is what they were designed to use and what all these countries affixed to the sks they made. NO AK mag will work in the above mentioned sks.
There is no connection to a strumgeweher and an SKS :roll:
Many companies have made duck bill extended hig cap replace aftermarket mags for the sks. Very few function very well without extensive tinkering of the magazine and/or feed ramp.
Stick with the 10 rd original mag and you will have less headache.
As mentioned. The 20 rd Chinese aftermarket mags are a good aftermarket mag. Even these may require some tinkering.
The best extended aftermarket mags are the 20 rd tapco duckbills.
Soimebody have been too long at the video games.

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
My buddies dad is a cop and we went today to purchase some weapons that th sherries office sold to lawmen's in cola...I believe they are confiscated from criminals then sold..could be wrong...anyway...we got. 3 sks.. 1 Chinese and 2 romanian...also picked up 7 tapco 20 round mags...cleaned the rifles
And shot 3 full mags of tulammo steel cased 7.62 through them...not one hiccup..I highly recommend these mags

Oh and we got them at $125 a peice...mags were $12-16 from cheaper than dirt

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice price for an SKS, even a Chinese one. Not that the Chinese SKS is bad, they are just more abundant and therefore cheaper.

No SKS was made with a 20 round mag except the Chinese SKS-D, and it takes regular, double Stack, AK-47 magazines. Anything else is an after market modification. I say this because there is a rule called 18 USC 922R or 922-R for short. This rule states that essentially if a semi auto weapon is modified from its original configuration, it cannot have more than 10 of the following items sourced outside the U.S.:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *
(2) Barrels *
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions) *
(5) Muzzle attachments *
(6) Bolts *
(7) Bolt carriers *
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons *
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers *
(12) Hammers *
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors *
(15) Buttstocks *
(16) Pistol grips *
(17) Forearms, handguards *
(18) Magazine bodies *
(19) Followers *
(20) Floorplates *

If you modify a surplus weapon, or purchase a modified surplus weapon, you may fall under these rules, and potentially, you may have an illegal weapon. You really need to have an understanding of the rules. You can read up more on this compliance at http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been an avid SKS fan since I found one in a pawn shop around 1982, been shooting them ever since. The after market duck bill mags, any make/capacity, just don't work well in the SKS rifle. The BEST high cap mag for the SKS is the 20rd fixed mag that you load via 2 stripper clips. If you really want high cap quick change mags in a 7.62x39 rifle get an AK. I got rid of my last "duckbill" mag about 7 years back via the local landfill's metal dump bin, course that was after shootin it full of holes at the range one day because it was a POJ

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
guess im lucky. i like mine. i can load with stripper clips or change mags. i have the original 10 rd, a chinese 20 rd and 2 30 something rd mags. my SKS was imported, made 16 in bbl and parkerized then put into a green nylon modern rifle style stock. i bought it new and there had been some fit work on the stock where the end of the duck bill goes into the catch.
soooo, dont shoot up your mags, bring them to Shootzenfest and give them to me.
its my only 762x39 gun till i get an upper for the select fire.

Latest posts