Colt Sights, Help!

teflondef

New Fanatic
Hey folks, first post here. I've never swapped out 1911 sights before, but I do many other types.

I recently installed sights for a few friends from work on Glock pistols and was asked if I could do some on a 1911. Both of my 1911's already have Tritium installed, so I have never tried.

Here's my point- I know I can install them, however... I have no idea which sights fit perfectly. The 1911 is a Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 - DE1911U.

Looks like Novak low profile, but I'm seeing a lot of different sizes and types and I'm not well versed in 1911 sight systems, but I would love to be.

SCHOOL ME?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I would call Dawson Precision and talk to them, tell them what pistol you have and what you are trying to do.
I just changed my first sight on my WC 1911 last week, gun shot to point of aim, so I measured front sight height and width and ordered FO that size from Dawson. I did have to take material off with a file. I just took my time. I also watched the video from Dawson.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Have two Desert Eagle 1911's and a Bul Armory, same thing, Bul makes the Desert Eagles, I didn't do the work myself, my gunsmith took measurements and just ordered front sight for my 5" bull barrel to work with rear sight, he ordered front and rear for other two, these sights aren't the exact same cut as a kimber or some others so I let somebody that was comfortable with the measurements to handle it, but my opinion Dawson only way to go, he talked with them on the phone and got everything worked out, 1911's not standard like a Glock unfortunately

DE1911

Fanatic
I agree, Dawson Precision is the place. I have 3 Desert Eagle 1911's, a G(5"), C(4"), and U(3"). Dawson is the place to go. Front sights are the same on all 3. but rear are different on the U. I had a smith do it, required a small amount of fitting, no big deal. I think they were about $35.00 and came with red and green fiber optic rods.

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
Another vote for Dawson. Definitely watch the Dawson videos on YouTube. And spend the few extra dollars to get the sight file from Dawson - it's not a regular file.

After Les Baer replaced the rear sight on my Stinger, the gun was shooting low with the after-market front sight. (I bought the gun used. The previous owner cobbled up the installation of night sights.) I used the Dawson sight calculator to determine what height front sight I needed. The sight came with the proper punch. With a little careful filing and a sturdy vice, the installation was easy.

Latest posts