Sight Pushers

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Drifted out the rear sight on my CZ as part of the prep to send it out for Cerakote. It was the tightest sight I've ever removed. I've changed sights on a few pistols but this one was a bear to get out. I've just drifted them in the past, but I'm afraid I'll bugger this one up after it comes back. What sight pushers have you guys used that work with a variety of pistols? I wouldn't want one just for CZs, but for Glocks, 1911s, etc. Wanting a one size fits all solution.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
What about just buffering the end of the punch with a scrap of leather? Or a piece of lead. Or a paper towel. Or polishing it so it's perfectly smooth. Or buying the Delrin punches from 10-8 Performance.

The Delrin punches are not good for tight fitting sights, but are handy for starting sights in. They seem to work best on Glocks & M&Ps. I've been using a steel punch with a buffer on the end lately, but will probably just make the end perfectly flat and smooth, and use it without a buffer.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
What about just buffering the end of the punch with a scrap of leather? Or a piece of lead. Or a paper towel. Or polishing it so it's perfectly smooth. Or buying the Delrin punches from 10-8 Performance.

The Delrin punches are not good for tight fitting sights, but are handy for starting sights in. They seem to work best on Glocks & M&Ps. I've been using a steel punch with a buffer on the end lately, but will probably just make the end perfectly flat and smooth, and use it without a buffer.
I made a punch by shaping the end of a chisel to fit most dovetails. The end of it is very smooth. Still, pounding and pounding on a sight will mark it. I was hoping to find a better solution than a punch.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
A punch and a vise are the best sight installation tools available. Buy a dovetail file and put them in properly. There is no need to wail on a sight with anything heftier than an aluminum punch and a small hammer.

Pull up Dave Dawson's video on installing dovetail sights and apply to your CZ.

Why wouldnt you let the cerakote applier do the the sights and then put them back on?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
The video was very helpful. I'll use that technique when I put it back in.

Mike, I guess I'd just rather do it myself. I stripped it down myself to save the disassembly charge so I don't think any reassembly would be included.

flanel

New Fanatic
I have the MGW Sight Pro that accepts several different slide shoe clamps for different pistols, and it is awesome. There is a shoe clamp available for CZ-75 slides. This is an expensive pusher, but if you have enough work to do it is worth the investment.

loneranger

Fanatic
I've got a B and J sight pusher I bought from Midway several years ago and it does more damage than an aluminum drift. If you have the old one out then putting a new sight in is much easier. I've had to cut through the old sights with a hacksaw on an XD to get them out. I don't understand why they make them so tight from the factory.

Latest posts