Sig Pistols

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems like Sigs (at least the P series) are kind of a niche gun. A lot of departments and military get them issued, (and I understand that doesn't necessarily mean anything) but you don't see them in competition, and only rarely see them being carried as CCWs. I have been carrying a Sig 2022 for a couple of months now, and really like it. My first semi auto was a Sig Pro, and I had a Sig 228 for a little while. I never liked the DA/SA setup, but now that I have done a ton of dry practice, and since I ride the reset when I shoot, it's not as big of a deal as it used to be.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on the Sigs is, and if you guys who shoot a lot more than I do see them much in competition. My only real complaint with my Sig is that I can't disassemble the slide like I can with other pistols. That may not be a big deal, but it does annoy me a bit.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I think a while back my answer would have been "because they're DA/SA" but the recent popularity of CZs and Tanfos seems to contradict that little bit of Internet Gun Forum Wisdom.

I agree that cost is a big concern. Compare the cost of a new, box-stock SIG to the cost of a new, box-stock SP-01. Now how much is that SIG going to cost when it's been raced out?

SIGs are less popular with law enforcement because of cost and because they lacked Glock's marketing ability. If SIG had paid for their customers to bang strippers at the Gold Club I'm sure we'd see more of them in cops' holsters.

My personal gripe with SIGs is that I can't shoot them without my thumb holding down the slide release.

E: Just saw this

My only real complaint with my Sig is that I can't disassemble the slide like I can with other pistols.
On the SIG I used to have, I remember being able to take the slide down by banging out a roll pin. That's less effort than it takes to tear down a M&P slide all the way. However I had an older stamped-slide model. I'm not sure what the deal is with the newer milled-slide ones.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
I agree that cost is a big concern. Compare the cost of a new, box-stock SIG to the cost of a new, box-stock SP-01. Now how much is that SIG going to cost when it's been raced out?

On the SIG I used to have, I remember being able to take the slide down by banging out a roll pin. That's less effort than it takes to tear down a M&P slide all the way. However I had an older stamped-slide model. I'm not sure what the deal is with the newer milled-slide ones.
My Sig's slide has a similar roll pin, but it's my understanding that if i bang it out, I will need a brand new pin to replace it. As far as cost goes, I totally agree, with one exception, and that's the polymer framed models like mine. They are actually priced a bit lower than the M&Ps and Glocks. The aftermarket support is a side I hadn't considered though, as my pistols typically stay fairly stock.

Here is my gun, Sig 2022, holster is the F3 Holsters OWB made by a local guy.

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
High bore axis is a major complaint against the Sig for competition use.
This is the number one complaint I have seen about sigs. I love my sig and I carry my p228 everyday. I carried and was issued a 228 in the military. They are great guns but they are a lil pricey. I think the 250 and the 2022 are great guns as well but I think a lot of guys, when buying a polymer gun, go with glock or m&p. I shot my sig in competition and did great in it until I wanted a longer slide ,barrel combo for a longer sight radius for comp. Then I went with the m&p pro. Sigs are a great combat ready pistol! If they weren't we would not have been issued them.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
1911s and 2011s have a high bore axis. Sigs just don't have many accessories or gunsmiths specializing in their guns. With a gigantic lineup of factory models and options, what guns do they have that are ready to compete with the big dogs? SOME models of the X5. Which is a very expensive handgun, and getting some competition stuff for it like basepads and a magwell you have limited to no options. SIgs are great guns, although kind of pigeon-holed into just being great guns but not guns optimized for winning. Ruger's auto-loaders are the same way, but without the exceptional accuracy that SIgs are known for.

I think the excessive work involved in disassembling the slide on the gun in discussion is another part of the reasoning here. I would not buy a handgun that required spare parts and tools to perform the absolute most basic service on, like removing the slide. But then you have to know that before buying.

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
1911s and 2011s have a high bore axis. Sigs just don't have many accessories or gunsmiths specializing in their guns. With a gigantic lineup of factory models and options, what guns do they have that are ready to compete with the big dogs? SOME models of the X5. Which is a very expensive handgun, and getting some competition stuff for it like basepads and a magwell you have limited to no options. SIgs are great guns, although kind of pigeon-holed into just being great guns but not guns optimized for winning. Ruger's auto-loaders are the same way, but without the exceptional accuracy that SIgs are known for.

I think the excessive work involved in disassembling the slide on the gun in discussion is another part of the reasoning here. I would not buy a handgun that required spare parts and tools to perform the absolute most basic service on, like removing the slide. But then you have to know that before buying.
There p series are easy to take down. The more economical polymer line is more difficult to take down. The p series takes down just like an m&p or xd.

Mitch Gibson said:

mitch, put the bong away; Bruce Gray does sigs. He makes em sing.
and the bore axis **** is overblown, and if you have a proper grip, 1911s and 2011 barrels are not high relatiive to grip

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I forget what specific match it was, but one of the USPSA National's top 20 had a quite surprising amount of guys running SA/DA guns. I suspect that the majority were of the CZ/Tangfolio variety but there were some Berrettas and Sigs in there too.

The Sig P series are a fine machine. The original versions were a corroboration between the Swiss doing the most of the designing and the Germans doing most of the manufacturing. Nuff said...

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
mike cyrwus said:
and no, you dont need a new roll pin when you strip a sig slide down.
My guess is that someone got that idea after not using a roll pin punch and hamfisting it.

Scott Hearn said:
The Sig P series are a fine machine. The original versions were a corroboration between the Swiss doing the most of the designing and the Germans doing most of the manufacturing. Nuff said...
IIRC SIG did all of the designing. They just contracted the manufacturing out to Sauer in Germany to get around Swiss arms export laws.

An old P210 is on my list of guns to own someday.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
My guess is that someone got that idea after not using a roll pin punch and hamfisting it.

IIRC SIG did all of the designing. They just contracted the manufacturing out to Sauer in Germany to get around Swiss arms export laws.

An old P210 is on my list of guns to own someday.
Mine too. You know they are making them again?

Warning! The.pdf file in this link will cause epic drooling.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I for one love my Sig. I have a 226 that is my edc. I have also used it in comps. The high bore axis doesn't bother me at all.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I got my production B card with a 226. Great gun, better than the XD I replaced it with.

I got to check out an X5 Max Michel was shooting at the pro am one year. Felt great, pointed nicely, and had a very nice trigger. I'll second/third the desire for a 210.

Latest posts