Sig pistol help?

millsou19

Fanatic
I have a Glock 17 that I love and the Sig's have been catching my eye. I have never shot one but have heard good things. I'm looking at 9mm. Anybody here a Sig owner? Pros and cons?

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i owned a sig (just sold it)
pros
great resale value
reliable (never had a jam)
accurate

cons
heavy
cost alot

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Sig P228. I love the gun, and will never (Lord willing) part with it.

IMG_7938_PI_7x5_B_PS_650x464.jpg

Pros:
Insane reliability. Check out my photo thread on 9mm wadcutters, yeah, it fed them. If I load a mag with a couple empties in them, it will even on a regular basis (not 100%) feed those; obviously it won't eject them :eek: The only thing I've had it choke on with live ammo was a sideways primer.

Accuracy. You aim, it hits.

Cons:
Ergos not quite right. Some controls aren't in the "natural" place.
Recoil not as manageable as some guns.

I wouldn't say it's heavy compared to other aluminum frame guns, but compared to modern polymer guns, yes it is. I never had an issue carrying it with 15+1 rounds in it. It weighs the same unloaded as a steel K-frame smith snubbie, or an SP101.

I paid $500 for mine 4+ years ago, have 3k+ rounds through it since then (I know, nothing compared to some on here), and it has been good for me. If you shop, you can find them reasonably priced. New, or the gimicky modern guns (the uranium edition guns with platinum grips and rails and gold plating etc) are expensive, but an older West German gun can be had for $500 +/-.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have a Glock 17 that I love and the Sig's have been catching my eye. I have never shot one but have heard good things. I'm looking at 9mm. Anybody here a Sig owner? Pros and cons?

I haven't shot a Sig that I've been able to accept the DA trigger pull weight on. Most people don't really seem to think it's an issue, but I've had better. Otherwise, I really like the controls and reliability.

millsou19

Fanatic
That's a nice pistol nikat! Are you sure you don't wanna get rid of it? No, I'm joking. So far y'all aren't helping my yearning for a sig. I haven't figured out which model I want yet.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't shot a Sig that I've been able to accept the DA trigger pull weight on. Most people don't really seem to think it's an issue, but I've had better. Otherwise, I really like the controls and reliability.

I haven't shot that many DA/SA semiautos, but I would say mine is close to the pull weight of a S&W revolver. (not the old ones with fantastic triggers unfortunately) Not as crisp, but not a lot heavier. That is one of the things that I dislike about the Sig Classic guns, is the DA/SA trigger. I shot a 229 DAK, that was awesome. I've heard some people complain about reset with the DAK, and that if you need a double strike, it goes back to true DA trigger, but that would be the exception.

chazroh

Active Fanatic
I have had some sigs I did not like but I got an older p220 and it makes me take back everything I have ever said about sig.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I haven't shot that many DA/SA semiautos, but I would say mine is close to the pull weight of a S&W revolver. (not the old ones with fantastic triggers unfortunately) Not as crisp, but not a lot heavier. That is one of the things that I dislike about the Sig Classic guns, is the DA/SA trigger. I shot a 229 DAK, that was awesome. I've heard some people complain about reset with the DAK, and that if you need a double strike, it goes back to true DA trigger, but that would be the exception.

What really kills it for me is comparing it to a Beretta PX4 sub-compact that I had. It's DA trigger pull was AMAZINGLY light, and the gun all-around was the best firearm I've ever had or used. Which is why I don't like the SIGs trigger, it costs way, way more, and is inferior. I traded the Beretta in a part of a handful for a Deagle. I regret it a bit, until I shoot the Deag. That tends to wash away any remorse.

Jwryan84

Active Fanatic
I've got a P229 SAS in 357 sig and a couple P6s that Mike has worked over. Great guns, accurate, and reliable.

Mike did a great job on the P6 triggers, double action is really smoothed up and much lighter. Single action is down to 4.5 lbs. Sigs are great guns in my opinion.

TKR Reptiles

www.TKRReptiles.com
I have had two sigs and will never own another one... I am not Sig bashing by any means, so don't think that I am...I just had bad experiences with them and I wasn't impressed at all... I was actually quite shocked at how much I disliked it... To me, a Glock is the ultimate polymer gun in the price range... I also don't see a need or desire to want to spend more for something like a HK or something like that... The Glock does anything and everything I have ever asked, or wanted it to do... Just my .02...

TKR Reptiles

www.TKRReptiles.com
Its was the P250 .40 cal and I forget what the other one was to be quite honest because it was a long time ago....

LStevens

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought my first Sig P220 when I was in Germany in 1992. Yes I still have it. Pros. Everything. Cons only 7 round mag, too big for CCW, so I bought a Sig P245. The 220's baby brother. Yes I still have it, carry when I have a coat. Still too big if in summer gear in Oklahoma. Just picked up a 229 Elite. Haven't shot it yet but she sure is pretty!

BobWill

I Can't Feel My Legs
I just bought a sig P250 in 9mm...I love it so far if I do my part it will hit where I aim. very low cost. Been shooting spent 12 ga shotgun hulls with it at 7 yards..I think it will hit a chest at that range as well.

Attachments

• new toy #1 001.JPG
    new toy #1 001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts