Sidesaddles?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't remember seeing any sidesaddles on 3 gun shotguns and figure there is a reason why but haven't heard it. I like the idea if keeping some ammo on the gun, and the 4 shell sidesaddle they make for the Benelli seems handy.

For a home defense gun, how would you keep extra ammo handy, in a way that would also work for hunting and competition.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Side saddles are great for self defense when you don't have shell caddies on your belt. Loading shells from a caddie is much quicker in competition. You do see them some in 3 gun when a stage requires X number of slugs or buck and birdshot after. They are handy for follow up shots if you happen to miss. You mostly see 2 shot saddles mounted near the barrel nut for 3 gun.

I'm an amateur 3 gun shooter. Some of the more seasoned competitors may have a different opinion.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Put the loop side of some wide self-adhesive velcro on the receiver, and the hook side on the back of the side saddle. Voila: HD to 3G like nothing. I don't know if 3G has rules against them but I'd think they'd be just as handy for slug or buck rounds in competition as they are for HD.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
May have to try the Velcro idea, thanks. Have also seen slings that hold ammo, and while that definitely wouldn't work for competition it might be handy in the home.

Open to any other opinions, thanks.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
In lieu of sling loops I would just put an elastic stock sleeve on. Between that and the side saddle, you get 11 extra rounds. I would think the sling would get pretty heavy and, as a result, kind of unwieldy. That's just me, though. Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
When i first started shooting 3 gun the first thing i bought was a velcro side saddle because it looked ATAS. KurtM warned me that it would get in the way of the shells in my hand when i weak hand loaded. Not wanting to make my gun less cool I didn't care what Kurt said until I tried loading weak hand with it On the gun. Damnit! Kurt was right again!!!

For Home defense they provide a good for 4-6 extra rounds. If you want it for HD. Get the Velcro type from 3 Gun Gear or Mark Otto. Remove the elastic loops for 3 gun. It's faster to grab one a slug or buck or oh **** round off your belt caddy anyhow because that's where you train to grab from.

Latest posts