Shotshell reloading

dennishoddy

Yeah, your math and mine pretty well match up. If it wasn't for having so many supplies laying around the house, I'd probably go with the cheap wallyworld, but in an hour I can knock out enough for a good weekend of dove shooting or a day of trap. I can still use the old Lee load-all to put out some 3" shells for late season pheasant and spring turkey. That is some significant savings there. :D

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Jerry what's your idea on the 28ga loads? my good friend has one of the Hornady progressives with a 28ga head I just have to suck it up and talk myself into spending the cash for all the supplies! right now it's rather difficult as I have these little plastic things that women love so much I want PAID OFF! soon as the feds turn loose my money 1 will be gone and then hack away at the other.

Ron has a load for 7 1/2's that he shoots skeet with that is just awesome from his 28ga he has a pretty little 1100 with some wood that will almost make you tear up! I've got 50 hulls what's you idea for a load?

Dennis, run that pheasant load thru my Franchi talk about rock your world! awesome gun to carry in the field but rather harsh for much shooting, but I so want to take it to Silverleaf but I'll hurt for a few days afterward I'm sure. Later,

Kirk

Sorry for the lame response. I got an old Pacific Loader from a true shotgunner who figured he was two old who is close to or over 80. As stated I would like a 28 ga. So I was glad to get the press though i have not used it - yet. I will get with him on his loads if he still has any notes left. Looking in my o l d and old manuals it looks like for a 1300ish 3/4 load Blue Dot, Unique, and 800X would work though for a softer 1200 fps load Universal and others.
Upland game birds 13.8 grs of Universal, 3/4 oz 7.5 / 8 shot win 209, Pattern Control wad stuffed into a Fed target case 1200fps.
Bobs / skeet 13 grs Universal, 3/4 oz 7.5, WAA28 wad, Win 209, Win AA 1200ish

jcbfrntz

Fanatic
Sounds like your talking about reloading bird shot/target loads, those seem cheap enough that I wouldn't think it's a big deal to buy them in bulk boxes from a store, but I do reload buckshot, pretty decent savings there.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
First availability of less popular gauges makes reloading worthwhile as does just tailoring your load to your choke and bbl. Mostly anything in 12 / 20 ga in the bulk pack if it works for yor needs it is cheaper these days to purchase factory unless you get into some good group buys. Any of your hvy loads can still reap a savings. Since I haven't reloaded SG since I moved 3 yrs ago I still have over 200 lbs of shot 1000's of wads and a few thousand primers that at todays prices would be a hell of a savings. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be singing the blues in ref to shot and primers with everyone else.

dennishoddy

Are you thinking of selling some of your supplies? I don't do that much shotgun any more, but our new range plans include a shotgun area bigger than the one we already have.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you thinking of selling some of your supplies? I don't do that much shotgun any more, but our new range plans include a shotgun area bigger than the one we already have.

If that was for me no I am not planning on selling. I plan on using it up by the end of the yr if I am lucky.

dennishoddy

I like that train of thought! :D
There is a private trap range West of Ponca. I shot there a lot one year, but found out my upland bird shooting was suffering because of it. The technicalities of trap shooting, don't work well when a covey comes up at your feet in the blackjacks.
Since the upland bird population is on a wane at the current time, I'm going to have to get back out there and get some time on the shotguns.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Just this past week found out there is a local trap & skeet club near and actualy found a place I can go practice once a month or so. Things are looking up!

Latest posts