Shotshell reloading

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Is it worth reloading shotshells? They're so inexpensive that it seems like you wouldn't save much money, if any. Whenever I get the Blue Press I wonder how many shells you'd have to shoot to for their shotshell reloader to pay for itself.

J.t. Stapleton

Well-Known Fanatic
The price of lead shot is out of control. I really want to load my own but it just isn't cost effective unless lead prices come down to a reasonable number.

dennishoddy

First started loading shotshells in the early 80's with a $25 Lee loader, and loaded thousands of shells with it. Still own it.
25lb bag of hard shot at that time was in the $20 range. Powder prices, I don"t remember But the prices have increased a lot less than the economy if I remember right.
At the time, I could reload Premium loads for the price of Dove and Quail loads. If I remember right, I got 14 boxes of shells with a pound of powder, and a bag of shot plus primers. Hulls were once fired, and free for me.
Got into Trap, and some skeet. Guy that was local got into it big time, and still is, buys lead shot by the ton to shoot. He did this so the rest of us could get a good buy like the group buys we do on this forum.
There was a supposed lead shortage in the late 80's if I remember right where the prices went so high that shot was at $40 something a bag. Anybody that had a surplus got a bonus.
Currently load with a RCBS Grand Progressive.
I haven't put the pencil to paper to calculate any savings, but casual looking around at prices will support my claim that one can still load premium shells for low cost shell prices.
If one factors in the price of the reloader, you might not break even for awhile, but its all about how much time it takes and how much you shoot..

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes you can still save on premium shells, If you can get by with re-claimed shot, get in on a larger order for powder, primers to cut hazmat , and large shot orders you can cut the cost down but not by much as in the good ole days :)
Really the savings jump with 16ga, 28ga and 410. You get a much wider load selection for those as well as save money. You also get decent loads for the 20ga if you are a fan.

I still have two Lee Load-Alls - they work. I would though suggest get a MEC 650 unless you are going to be shooting more than 2-300 a week and you don't have much spare time. Your looking at 125-150ish in the cost and you can recoup that a lot faster than anything Big Blue or Big Green puts out and still have quality ammo.

I run a few MECs there in one of the reloading area/benches/rooms threads.

There are videos on Youtube as well.on MEC presses and shotgun reloading.

RyanReed

Semi-Pro
Absolutely. I would pick up shot for $15/25#'s when I started. Now, if I drive to the Remington plant an hour from my home and buy it off their dock, it's still $50. My MEC loader just sits now...

dennishoddy

I saw some shot online the other day for a little over $40 a bag, but you had to buy 100lbs. Looking at a Cabellas catalog, cheap shells are running $6 a box, and AA's are running $8.50 a box.
So, doing some quick math, knowing I could get 13 boxes of 1 1/4 oz. 1400fps rounds, I'll use that for a baseline.
Shot@ $40.00 for 25 lbs of chilled shot
350 primers @ $4.20 per hundred, $10.50
Pound of powder $23.00
Hulls can be picked up about anywhere.
Hazmat charges and tax are not included.
Total, $73.50.
13 boxes of cheap shells are $78.00.
13 boxes of AA's is $110.50
13 boxes of turkey or premium pheasant loads will be close to $15.00 a box or more.
My load falls between the premium, and AA rounds, so I can still say I'm making a pretty good savings.
All of my prices came from cabellas, so I'm sure a savy shopper can get them a little cheaper.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Since I got the 28ga I've been kicking the idea around again, for 12ga I see no reason. Can't figure out why the only loads I can find for the 28ga are #9 shot sorta stupid if you ask me! should be 7 1/2 shot :) Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

I would love to have a sweet slender 28ga O/U - damn I must be getting old. :O
Your not the only one. I dumped a couple hundred bucks on a 28 at a Wild Turkey Federation Banquet last year, and drew a couple of free plays, but lost to a 19 year old young lady that bought one ticket.
I tried to buy it from her, but it was a no-go.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Anytime one of you wants to hold a slim sexy little 28ga OU just let me know, be nice to her and you might even find yourself firing some rounds! crappy damn #9 shot thought hehe. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Kirk Smith (ksmirk) said:
Anytime one of you wants to hold a slim sexy little 28ga OU just let me know, be nice to her and you might even find yourself firing some rounds! crappy damn #9 shot thought hehe. Later,

Kirk

We have worked on this deal before
Schedules and weather kicked our butts.
Spring is coming, and I've acquired 2 1/2 cases of 16 ga ammo that screams silver leaf.
Let's do it! I'll need to order some 28 ammo in advance.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis I NEED to either order some or get the goodies and spend some time at my buddies house with his loader. We for sure will have to get out to Silverleaf SOON! I'd like to take my old Franchi out I know it's been 5 years since it has had a shell thru it! it's ugly but she sure is a good ol' girl, I'll get her a make over one of these days. Later,

Kirk

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic

Kirk

I can fix that #9 shot problem ;-) You just would have trouble getting that s e x y thang back though.

dennishoddy

Jesse Tischauser said:
Dennis,

I need some cream puff loads for my Nova. You do any contract reloading?

I haven't but could. You have a particular proven load in mind? That RCBS Grand can kick out a ton of shells in a short period.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Jerry what's your idea on the 28ga loads? my good friend has one of the Hornady progressives with a 28ga head I just have to suck it up and talk myself into spending the cash for all the supplies! right now it's rather difficult as I have these little plastic things that women love so much I want PAID OFF! soon as the feds turn loose my money 1 will be gone and then hack away at the other.

Ron has a load for 7 1/2's that he shoots skeet with that is just awesome from his 28ga he has a pretty little 1100 with some wood that will almost make you tear up! I've got 50 hulls what's you idea for a load?

Dennis, run that pheasant load thru my Franchi talk about rock your world! awesome gun to carry in the field but rather harsh for much shooting, but I so want to take it to Silverleaf but I'll hurt for a few days afterward I'm sure. Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Awhile back I did the math using a baseline of WalMart Federal Bulk pack. Everything less the hulls came up to within a few cents of a box of the wallyworld Federal. No go for me.

Now the premium hunting loads, turkey loads and other gauges are another matter...

Latest posts