Shots at 300-400-500yds without Ballistic Reticle

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
i might have figured it out. I was using the g7 native drag model on Ballistic FTE and it looks like Strelok uses g1 i put in my 308 data and it matches exactly on both now.
G1 to G7 was a 10in difference

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
Now back to the original question. If we have the data needed we could maybe tell you how much hold over you need for 3,4,500 yards. It appears that your calculations are pretty close though.
correct me again if im wrong but at
2750fps
2.75 sight height (thats what mine is with the burris pepr mount)
and 200yrd 0
it will be @
-7.64 at 300
-22.80 at 400
-46.81 at 500
and
-191.89 at 800 if you feel like it.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
are you using a Bc of .395? sight height of 2.5 and 200yrd 0?
i get -46.57
close but not close enough, they should match.
maybe the battery is getting low in my phone!
bc is same my scope height and weather conditions are different if you are getting -46.57 @ 500 then you are good. That 31 inches at 500 was not right but i could not figure it out from the data you displayed.

Michael J
I have a good article on windage adjustments if you are interested it has two wind charts thats helped me understand wind adjustments better. If you are interested pm me an email and i will scan it and send it to you in the next day or two

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks Corey
It was def. the drag model that was throwing it off
G1 (flat based pointed) at 500 49.41
G7 (VLD boat tail) at 500 is 38.64
i guess that brings up a whole other problem, which drag model to use for the projectile in question?

I hope all this poop was some kind of help for Michael J

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
All this talk of ballistic calculators is making my head spin. If you are having to use a calculator don't have your dope out to 600. I don't want to answer this question, as I keep hoping Kurt will stop in, but get your gun sighted in at 200 and then figure out your hold over for 400 and 500, by shooting at those distances. With the German #4, it shouldn't be that hard. I know you said your local range only goes to 300, but you need to find a place to shoot longer. Period.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks Corey
It was def. the drag model that was throwing it off
G1 (flat based pointed) at 500 49.41
G7 (VLD boat tail) at 500 is 38.64
i guess that brings up a whole other problem, which drag model to use for the projectile in question?

I hope all this poop was some kind of help for Michael J

My ballistic calculator only asks for BC, muzzle velocity, caliber, bullet weight, scope height and zero distance and it was nuts on at 1,000 yds. I don't know why "drag model" would make a difference. I know a flat base bullet has more drag, so it should have a lower BC. the lower BC should still give the correct dope with proper input in the ballistics calculator.

Ballistic calculators are not some magic program. They are nothing more than a mathmatical equation spit out in an excel spreadsheet. Crap in = Crap out.

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
if i understand it, the drag model produces different BC numbers
for example
a BC of .395 G1 = a BC of .198 G7
so if you use G7 for your calculations but use the G1 numbers then your gunna have problems

This is from JBM's drag function conversion

Drag Function Conversion Input DataBallistic Coefficient:0.395 G1 Caliber:0.224 in Bullet Weight:75.0 gr Velocity:2750.0

New Drag Function:G7 Output Data Speed of Sound:1116.4 ft/sMach Number:2.463CD of Standard G1 Bullet:0.543CD of Standard G7 Bullet:0.272 Form Factor of G1 Bullet:0.541 Form Factor of G7 Bullet:1.080 New Ballistic Coefficient:0.198 G7 Sectional Density:0.214 lb/in²

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
My views as a hunter.

I am a bit of a Ludite on BDC scopes and mutli-reticles and range finders, although the range finder is something I do use. My view point is that makers of these products have one aim, and that is to get your money. What they purport to offer is a way around practicing and developing shooting skills, one of which is distance estimation and hold over.

As a hunter, I have to agree with Dr JJ. There is no substitute for practice at those longer ranges. Look to get access for some wide open pasture land (lots of it in OK) and set up your targets at various ranges. Know thy rifle. I have done of 95% of my hunting with one rifle over the last 35 years; a 30-06. I tried 300 and 7mm Mags but always ended going back to old faithful because I know it.

The range finder has been a wonder in helping my long range shooting. I don't use them that much while hunting, but I do while practice shooting.

I also will carry one around in the car and on walks and guess the yardages at arbitrary things, then use the range finder to see how accurate my guess was.

For long range practice I will fill 2 litre pop bottles with water and place them at various ranges. Their size is about that of the vitals of most game. When you hit one you know it. It saves one having to continually walk long distances to look for holes in paper targets.

Just my opinion from a hunter's perspective.

Tally ho

Kevin

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
The LT-104 and LT-139 centerline optic height is 2.7 inches over centerline bore. I asked M. LaRue.

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
Rifle and load must be shot to really know, if the scope has a duplex reticle you can index your hold points off the fat part of the reticle. If you sight in 2 inches high at 100 you can be very precise to 300 to 350 IF you get some practice at those distances using the fat part of the duplex as your index. If your scope is a variable your holds change as you change power if you use the fat part of the duplex as your hold point. If you know the size of the target at each distance it can also allow you to gauge your hold point with a little more confidence!

Chris_Andersen

Certified
Guys I know everyone is trying to help, but when someone poses a question to representatives of Redneck Tactical in THEIR section of Ask The Pros and those questions keep getting answered by people not affiliated with RNT, they are going to eventually stop giving the good advice that they always have to offer.

Which is why I replied.. Being a RNT associate.

All Mike wants to know is what his holdovers are; it aint multivariate stastics what youre looking at LR 3 gun shots.
Mike, PM Andersen and let him know what grain bullet youre shooting, estimated muzzle velocity and he will tell you here he holds with his tr-24 at those distances.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
This get moved out of questions for the pros?
yes, I moved it because everybody except RNT was weighing in.

Guys I know everyone is trying to help, but when someone poses a question to representatives of Redneck Tactical in THEIR section of Ask The Pros and those questions keep getting answered by people not affiliated with RNT, they are going to eventually stop giving the good advice that they always have to offer.
Which is why I replied.. Being a RNT associate.
I don't think there's any disrepect intended.
I think it's more a matter of folks not realizing it's in the RNT-ask the pro's section or what that section is actually for.

as a mod, you should have deleted any responses that werent rnt approved then, spanky!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
as a mod, you should have deleted any responses that werent rnt approved then, spanky!
If it was just a bunch of wise cracks or arguing, I would have. But since it was well intended posts, I thought it'd be better just to move it. I did try to find a way to leave a copy of the original post in the Pro's section but the only option I could find was to leave a link to the new location. Sorry if you disagree but I thought this was the better option.

Maybe Brandon can copy the original post back into the Pro's section for the guys to weigh in there.
I'll find out.

dennishoddy

I agree with Tony. Like a lot on this forum, we access it with a smart phone most of the time, and select the "new posts" option to prevent lots of scanning.
I didn't see a single post that wasn't attempting to offer good advice.
Good call.

BTW ducks-R-Us, like you, I choose random objects, and range them with the eye ball, and then check with a range finder.

Amazing how that can re-train the eye.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
WOW!
Thanks for all the help folks.
I have been in Tulsa area for RO training.
l'm lucky I have not been DQ'ed .
That said, our instructor will be an RO at Nationals this year on stage 12.
He doesn't think There wil be rifle shots over 350yds.
So the pressure is off.
I still need to practice the hold overs for 300-400-500.
I will find out the requirements to shoot the 600yd range at okcgc.
Michael

Latest posts