Shotguns for a leftie

kparsons743

Active Fanatic
I am new to the forum and very interested in getting into 3 gun. Slowly but surely acquiring all of the gear! Using the Tap to Talk app did not allow me to post on the Intro forum but it did here? I am a recent transplant to OK from GA as well!

I currently have a Remington versa Max with a 12 round mag and it is an incredible gun; highly reliable and I am able to shoot it quickly and accurately. As a leftie shooter, I am baffled by how to reload this bad boy quickly. I am most comfortable shouldering the weapon on my left shoulder and reloading using my strong hand (left hand). The issue that I have come across is loading the first shell. It must be either loaded directly into the chamber then I would press the dolt release before loading other rounds or I must press the release button then start loading the magazine which then would require me to pull the charging handle as well.

I would ideally like to be able to discharge the final round then simply start to load rounds into the tube, release the bolt, then go to town on killing targets. Is this possible with semi auto shotguns? Is there a different model that works best for lefties reloading with their left hand? Are there any modification that leftie versa Max users can do to help with reloads? Or is my reloading technique simply garbage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Get a match saver and load the chamber with it then flip it over and load the tube.

Or buy a Browning A5. It will automatically load the chamber when the bolt is locked rearward after you put a round in the tube.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Use a matchsaver and make sure the only time you run dry is when you have one shot left and can go to the matchsaver. This can be loaded while the gun is still in your shoulder on the target.

I will get our resident left handed shotgunner who also runs a versamax to comment on what he does.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Matt Rigsby said:
Try to count your shots to keep from running dry. I need to practice that more myself.
I refused to run a match saver just because I felt it was a crutch. The fastest way is to not miss and not run dry. However I'd still miss no matter how calm and calculate I shot a stage. So I added a match saver and it saved me time twice at nationals this year. I'm a believer in them finally. Everyone should run one!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Jesse Tischauser said:
I refused to run a match saver just because I felt it was a crutch. The fastest way is to not miss and not run dry. However I'd still miss no matter how calm and calculate I shot a stage. So I added a match saver and it saved me time twice at nationals this year. I'm a believer in them finally. Everyone should run one!
I have the best of both worlds. I velcro my match saver on my gun. It falls off half way though a stage so it can't be a crutch. Win-Win

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk 5.3

kparsons743

Active Fanatic
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! I certainly do not count my rounds well new (newbie here), so that sounds like it is my first order of business. I was planning to keep a round in a stock mounted holder for this purpose but it looks like the MatchSaver is a better option.

Thanks again guys!

Extra credit question: without diverting this to a multi page pistol thread, do most people try to speed reload striker fire pistols before running dry as well? I guess this would save the time/energy required to release the slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
None of your guns should run dry.
Stage planning has a lot to do with it. Figure out how you want to run the stage and plan your reloads between shooting positions to keep things flowing smoothly.

45recoil

likes to party
Id practice both. Too many times **** happens and shooters are slow on figuring out what to do. Slide lock reloads, bolt open reloads.

But as eluded to above, try not to runthe gun dry, count them shots.