Shotgun questions for the clueless

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot quite a bit of pistol, but know almost nothing about shotguns. Visiting with family this weekend and dad has two shotguns that my brother and I are getting. My brother has little interest in guns so basically I have my choice. I may try 3 gun someday, but that's a ways in the future. I have thought of trying skeet or trap.

One is an Ithaca model 37 from somewhere around 1975. Dad thought I might prefer it as I'm right handed but left eye dominant and it ejects out the bottom.

The other shotgun is a Browning semi-auto. We couldn't find any indication of a model number. I've included some photos below. I was hoping to get some opinions from those who know scatter guns on which way they would go.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
Is either the A5 or the Ithaca 37 a lower end, mid range, or high end gun - or is there variation in both models?

Would you call either superior, or is it a question of it depends on what you'll use it for?

The Browning was made in Belgium

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
The A5 is a standard weight gun manufactured in the early 1950's according to the serial number. It looks to be in well used shape. They are both great older shotguns, but I have a softspot for old shotguns

dennishoddy

The A5 has a bigger following than the Ithaca models, although I love both. The A5 with its hump back design works good for shotgunners that can't keep their head welded to the stock. LOL. I have a couple.
The Sweet 16 A5 is the gun I go to when game needs to be put in the freezer.

You would do well to put both of them in the safe. Their value's will never go down.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
The A5 looks like it has been well used and that is a good thing. The pre-1958 A5's can have weak locking blocks (I have a broken one, this is how I learned). The post 1958 bolts are the fix for the problem. If yours works, I doubt yours will break.

I know which one I would take if I had to pic.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
My first shotgun was the Ithaca 37 featherlight and I've run tens of thousands of runs through it. With the two action rails and the bottom ejection it never would bind like some of the pump guns of that era do. The gun is in the 6lb range fully loaded so it makes a great field gun when your chasing quail, grouse, pheasants but because it's so light doesn't make a good trap/skeet gun without putting a weight on the magazine tube nut.

The A5 on the other hand is a little heavy for carrying behind dogs all day but makes a great trap/skeet/sporting clays gun. I have my Dad's old 1958 A5 and it's a great gun.

Latest posts