Shotgun Loading Challenge

Keith Garcia

Fanatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXslwiq9c8I

The idea behind this challenge is to set some sort of standardized test for evaluating the many shotguns, shell holders and loading techniques available

There are lots of videos on-line showing different types of loads and carriers. The one thing we lack for an objective comparison of the options is a standard to compare them.

This is my attempt at establishing that standard. I'd love to see the various options put to the test in this format.

So get out of the basement and get to the range!

Let's see the videos and someone please get under 9 seconds!

Remember, if it is not on tape it did not happen. So please refrain from the "I know this guys who shot it is 5 second stories."

This is intended as something fun we can do to test gear and not as something to cause problems. If you don't like it, Don't participate
sight.gif

Thanks!
Keith Garcia

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Why not walk to that next cone over there on your left while loading?

If I don't have a plate rack can I use C zones?

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Not only is this a solid idea for comparing gear and techniques, it looks like a really great drill! Thanks for putting this out there Keith!

wchandler

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I tried it out this evening. Damn good drill. I only bought a 100rd pack with me. Probably a good thing since I bloodied up my thumb on the second run.

I tried it both weak hand and with some pinwheels. Best with weak hand was 10.46. Best with pinwheels was 10.58. Lots of room for improvement though. I was bumbling shells left and right. I know I can get to 9.5 in a few more sessions. 9 seconds will be tough to impossible for me.

Now I need to figure out why my Salient Benelli is hammer following. I ran it down to .17 splits then the hammer started following. Weird. It has never done that before.

jtischauser

Well, I tried it out this evening. Damn good drill. I only bought a 100rd pack with me. Probably a good thing since I bloodied up my thumb on the second run.

I tried it both weak hand and with some pinwheels. Best with weak hand was 10.46. Best with pinwheels was 10.58. Lots of room for improvement though. I was bumbling shells left and right. I know I can get to 9.5 in a few more sessions. 9 seconds will be tough to impossible for me.

Now I need to figure out why my Salient Benelli is hammer following. I ran it down to .17 splits then the hammer started following. Weird. It has never done that before.

That bolt is light it should handle .12's or less.

wchandler

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, don't know why it was doing it. I know I shouldn't be pulling faster than a .12. I took the last few shells I had and made the hammer follow 4 out of 5 attempts. I'm going back out tomorrow to try it.

I may try it with my accurate iron m2. I know I can't out run that thing.

Keith Garcia

Fanatic
Nice shooting Wes! If you can shoot .12 splits at 15 yards on a plate rack this drill will be a snap ;)

The best I can do is .15's with an unmodified Versa Max. I have not found a scenario where I needed really fast splits in matches but it would be nice to have that on demand.

Keep up the fast shooting!

wchandler

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice shooting Wes! If you can shoot .12 splits at 15 yards on a plate rack this drill will be a snap :wink:

The best I can do is .15's with an unmodified Versa Max. I have not found a scenario where I needed really fast splits in matches but it would be nice to have that on demand.

Keep up the fast shooting!

Absolutely. It will never be needed in a match but it looks cool on video. I did just pick up my Versa Max Tactical today. I'll play with it once I get some free time and tweaking done to it. :good:

Thanks for the drill Keith.

RK{ARMS}

Active Fanatic
So I loaded 12. Skipped all the shooting part and still did not come close to his 9.53. Wow maybe I need a new gun. Yep that has to be the problem.

jtischauser

I tried the Keith Garcia 12 step program tonight. I haven't practiced loading my shotgun in months and I can't get .15 splits with a pistol much less a shotgun so I'm slow as ****. Best run was 11.5 ish.

Man my weak hand loading is all jacked up. Time to start practicing with the TACCOM two ups I guess.

wchandler

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's a little comparison of weakhand and with Carbon Arms Pinwheels. It will be tough to get to 9.5 with any of the clip methods. It's a really long dismount and remount. It really shines when loading more than 4. Overall it is getting easier. Great drill Keith.

Pardon the crappy iphone vids. I couldn't get everything in frame.

Latest posts