Shotgun in competition one eye or two eyes open?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, pistol instructor hat is on now. People fall into three basic categories (Okay, five, but two of the categories are cross dominant and blind and blind isn't really the target audience here and cross dominant folks have to make their own way with long guns). Some can naturally shoot both eyes open, some can never shoot both eyes open no matter how hard they try, and the majority of people cannot do it naturally but can train themselves. It may take a while to train yourself. Took me about three weeks at about 5-10 minutes per day. Hold an object at arms length, whether it's a pistol during dry fire, an ink pen held up, or even a finger extended upward (NOT THAT FINGER, JESSE!!!). Close your support side eye and focus on the object, then slowly open the support eye while trying to consciously focus on the object with your firing side eye. Close the support eye, slowly open it again while continuing to focus on the object. Repeat. If you are one of the folks who can train yourself to shoot both eyes open, you will eventually be able to focus on the object without getting blurred or double vision.

andrsnsm

Well-Known Fanatic
For skeet/sporting clays I place a small piece of scotch tape on the left lens of my glasses so as to allow my right eye to take over. Still have peripheral vision since I can keep both eyes open.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm trying to make myself shoot with I think eyes open. But for long shots I close one eye. This is for all three guns

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
I am cross eye dominate also. I have to close my left eye when I'm shooting. I think I'm just totally screwed anyway. My brain has no clue what the hell it wants to do be a lefty or a righty. I've played hockey left handed since age 5, and play all your other sports such as baseball and golf lefty. I shoot right handed and write right handed. However in kindergarten the school decided to switch me from writing left handed to right handed and I have been writing right since. So my brain has no idea what the hell it wants to be, maybe one day it will figure itself out.

dennishoddy

Screwed as well. I throw left handed, but write right handed. Shoot right handed, but when going to the left, I don't have much problem transitioning. Don't practice enough left handed, but Its not that much of a handi-cap. Ambidextrous is the word I believe.

I'm starting to train my brain to keep my right eye open. Squinting then going to try fully open. And of
Course shooting rifles and shotguns righty and being lefty Dom isn't easy but it's overcoming challenges that's make everything fun in life. Work hard guys and never quit

Latest posts