Shotgun in competition one eye or two eyes open?

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
This year I trained myself shot with both eyes open with my pistol. I just got my first AR and doing the same. The dumb question of the night is if I am wanting to shoot 3-gun do I keep both eyes open for shotgun or do I close one eye like I do when shooting long range??? I am not shotgun guy so any help is welcomed.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Both eyes open is best but I struggle with the shotgun in doing so. I'm better at doing it on long range. Everybody sees differently. Try it again again and again to see if you can do it.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I'm with these guys, I keep (or try to) both eyes open all the time for all weapons. Much quicker for me, but everybody is different.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I've tried to do both eyes open, but it just doesn't work for me.
I always close the left eye for every gun I shoot.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Arrrrrrr matey. I shoot one eyed and I don't think it is that bad because you don't need extra situational awareness when you know where all the targets are and when you will shoot them.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Yup and yup
I basically shoot matches like a pirate.
You should roll with it and get an eye patch.

My fiance hasn't been able to get the hang of shooting both eyes open either. I don't think she's actually checked eye dominance that I know of so, it could be cross dominance as well.

I'll get her an eye patch too...

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm cross eyed dominate and tried the tape on the glasses trick, and that has worked really well for me. The eye patch is way more baller though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
I feel more legitimate having both eyes open. 15 years of shooting "wrong" depending on who you ask makes hard use both eyes. I've heard of the tape on glasses , but the Pirates patch has its appeal.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
Another vote here for both eyes open on all guns. Even on long range rifle and slugs, it helps me to gauge distances better, and see my misses more easily.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It's easier to get used to two eyes open if you practice with a shotgun. It directly translates across to the other guns, in my direct experience. I am not cross dominant though, but if I was I'd still bone your mom.

Latest posts