Shotgun for Heavy metal

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So I shot my 870 at OKC GC on saturday and I have to say I was impressed. I hit both my slug targets in one shot, thank god, but It worked well. The main problem with shooting the 18in barrel is that I lacked the power to crack the texas star, I shot a couple of the plates 3 or 4 times, and when you only have 7 shot tube that kinda wasted time shooting and then having to reload kills you. I already have a longer barrel and tube on the way, but Im wondering if there is anything I can do to the shotgun to make it easier to load and smoother cycling...any advice would be appreciated. Please dont say get a nova, I already have this gun and I really cant pop on another shotgun between the new house, needing a car and trying to save money for a reloading press...thanks guys

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
You might see if Cyrwus can open up the loading port a little. I don't know if he works on 870's or not, but a quick phone call should get you more answers.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks jesse, always so helpful lol. I already bought the barrel so that doesnt help me, unless I just sell the whole kit to someone else, but i like my remmy. Its purpose built at the moment, good house gun, just not the best competition gun. Im looking to change that, on both counts, a great house gun, a good comp gun.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
yea, I dont like borrowing if I dont have to...I just wanna shoot my equipment, why try and spend a bunch of money on new stuff when I can tune my gear and train harder with what I got. I like my 870, its tested and reliable, so Im good with it.
I just wanted to see if anyone had some real input

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I would check with Mike or Kurt to see if there's anything that can be done to the action. Like Matt said make some loading port mods. You've got the barrel, chokes & tube covered, so after that you should be ready to rock & roll. The good thing is that you can swap the barrel back & forth very easily for HD & 3gun purposes, so it's not like you're going to lose your HD gun to make a HM shotgun ;)

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
For sure thats what I like about it, Im just wondering if there are any specific things I can do to make it function a little more smoothly. I dont wanna just start hitting stuff with sandpaper or polishing cloth you know

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Just shoot the thing more. That's how I tune my pump guns. Seriously I do not have time to shoot let alone fiddle with this and that. Clean it good and lube it and shoot it about 100 rounds and repeat. After about 500 rounds of this it will loosen up. "I GARONETEE" :gaming:

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats what Ive done so far, its been shot a good bit, probably close to 650 rounds. I think the magazine tube ext and the chokes will make it much more competitive as a 3 gun shotgun, and Im not losing anything, like tony said,I can change out the barrels. I think maybe some dry cycling a few hundred times or so might help.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
the loading port can be opened up similar to the Nova, at least you can round the hard edges, polishing the action bars, and such its what RNT does to Nova's you can do the same to 870's. My 870 was my first choice for HM, until i got to play with a tuned Nova in Europe. I still have it and it shoots just fine so long as you take care of it. The father of HM, Ed Rhodes used one with success. RNT can work on them just like we do Nova's!!!

Trapr

Latest posts