Shotgun 101

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey there folks, so I borrowed my father in law's 870 express last weekend, loved it. So now I am in the market for a shotgun for shooting clays, maybe a little light competition and just all around fun. I have been looking at the Benelli Nova and Super Nova, and I am not really sure what the differences are. Also, the difference between magnum and regular 870s? I am thinking around 450 or 500 would be the limit. Would the nova or super nova be a waste of money? Is it actually nicer and smoother than the 870 or is all that the owners imagination because they paid 200 dollars more for it and want to justify it?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It has more to do with actually functioning whilst trying to beat a timer.

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
The Supernova has the confertech butt stock on it which helps with recoil. It also comes with shims to adjust the butt stock. The Nova doesn't have either of those. If you would like to shoot one, I have one just sitting around.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, that would be awesome, I just started a new job down at AAR and so I will be busy for a while and won't know when my next time available to shoot is, but I appreciate the offer, let me know next time you go out and I can bring the 870 and compare. There was a definitely noticeable difference between the 500 and the 870 I shot, the mossberg did not feel as nice and kicked a little harder, not as fun of a shooter as the 870.

DC4OU

Well-Known Fanatic
KLG (Kenny Gant) said:
The Supernova has the confertech butt stock on it which helps with recoil. It also comes with shims to adjust the butt stock. The Nova doesn't have either of those. If you would like to shoot one, I have one just sitting around.
I shoot with Kenny above. He has a Super Nova and I have a Nova. You can shoot both side by side to make a decision. I can tell you that my Nova use to kick hard until I put the mercury recoil in the stock. I would recommend it. You can take it out and shoot it both ways. You could also look at a Stoeger (made by Benelli). You can get a 3500 and a 3000 semi auto for about the same price as the Nova. I have never shot one, but the price is right.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So I did a little more shoping around and noticed that the stoeger p350 is almost the same gun just with a different logo and lower price? Any thoughts on it?

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I, too, am very budget minded. This is what I know for sure. My 870 Express has been 100% reliable in 3 gun, hunting, and clay shooting. Dad's 1187 100% reliable hunting, my Tristar TSA 3 1/2 magnum auto, 100% with hunting magnum loads, 2 3/4 loads not so much, my JM Pro, I've had issues, and after significant coin at a real smith, I hope is good under match conditions, but has been flawless fooling around and hunting since. So, what's my point? Research, and think carefully where you want to go with this gun. If you can only have one, are there real options to make it as versatile as you need, i.e. tube extensions and stuff? Are there smiths able, and willing to work on it? I've gathered mine guns over years, and handed down toe 870 to my son. If I could, I would buy an M2 right now, but it would involve about 6 months of saving. So I know about budget. If my son wanted to get serious about 3 gun right now, I would take a very serious look at the Stoeger 3000, and do the dressing myself.

Latest posts