Shot timer?

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a CED timer that folds to close for a decent price and it works really well. That being said, there are some limitations to using a timer to train if you are sharing a range with other shooters. If it is picking up other shots, it will be nearly impossible to record your strings during training. On the other hand, they are awesome for dry fire training with the random start and a par time. I've started using a par timer app on my phone during dry fire, and I find that I actually like it more than my shot timer. After reading some of the Ben Stoeger training books, I find that I spend more time using a par timer during training than anything.

Edited to add: I have the CED8000 and it works well. Not sure if I would spend the money on a new one, but it has been awesome. I really like that I can hook it to my belt / pocket and see my times easily and scroll through a string of fire to get whatever data I'm looking for. Now if only I could get it to play YouTube videos...

dennishoddy

The CED 7000 model works well. A lot of the guys have that model. It does pick up .22 Rim Fire Rifle better than some models at the Steel Challenge matches.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Shotmaxx is hands-down the most convenient when going solo or dry-firing, CED7000 is all-around great, but Pact timers are standard at matches. I've considered getting a Pact timer just to get really familiar with them, even though I think they suck ass.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Competition Electronics Pocket pro 2

Easy to access with the side button when clipped onto a pocket or belt. Quick to read and go through shot strings.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
The CED 7000 is my favorite except I think the screen sucks in bright sunlight and I've had the battery run out while running squads through matches before.

The PocketPro and PACT timers all have terrible interfaces and are huge. But, you know, battery life and being able to read them in sunlight.

Hank Coates said:
There is actually a nice app for smartphones that work pretty well in a pinch.
I have the go to big blue box in my bag, but the app works well too.
I've never had good luck with shot timer apps. Smartphone microphones are set up to receive voice audio but they don't handle impact noise (like gunshots) well. I finally threw up my hands and bought a real shot timer.

Latest posts