Shot my first tactical rifle match today.....

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
and I am hooked! Great to finally get my feet wet. I'm pretty sure I was in the mix for the lead in my squad, but had to leave after 5 of the 7 stages for family reasons. Awesome day, just the same.

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
I live on Long Island in NY. From what I know, it is the only tactical rifle match on the Island. Thanks to NY's gun laws, 10 round mags made shooting the stages interesting. Each IPSA target required an Alpha zone single shot or a target double tap. I think I only tried one double tap. 6 stages were close quarter, and the last was "long" distance. Starting from the seated position on a quad and rifle placed on its rack, on the beep, hit 4 steel swingers at 150 yards, move up to a barricade at 125 yrds and engage the 4 swingers again, then move up to 100 yrds and hit hanging steel, prone, off sandbags.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Where on the Island is this? I live upstate in Orange County and looking for other places to shoot. The 10 rounders suck, we had to use them this year too. Just when you get in a rhythm you have to reload.

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
Out east, in Westhampton. It is a private range but open to all for competitions. They let us use 30's but only loaded to 10. Easier to handle than those little 10 rounders. Stag sells 30/10 mags already pinned. I may get a few mag blocks and convert some of my mags.

The range website is lipsa.us, I believe. Do you have any tactical rifle matches up there?

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot with a club group in dutchess county. We shoot 3 gun but it is scored I would say like IDPA. It is not really publicized, no website or that just basically word of mouth and email once you have shot. We just finished up for the year 2 weeks ago.

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm sure you are lucky enough to have more than one rifle match where you are Josh. Not to mention the right to own guns without restrictions like 10 round magazines, pinned stocks, pinned/welded muzzle breaks and so on. NY sucks.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah there is some kind of match going on just about every weekend down here. Problem is I work weekends. I looked at the wrong month on my calendar when I saw this post and thought it was a week day.

Latest posts